Suspension question

89_cougarxr7

Alright, let me break it down for ya right quick. I have a 1989 Cougar XR7 with the factory ARC suspension. I want to lower my car at least 1.5 inches all around. I dont really care about handling since i probly wont be doing any circuit racing, and i really dont care about ride feel. I just want to lower my car. For looks. Thats all. What would be the fastest, cheapest way to do that.

Thanks

Any and all suggestions help.

----J----

Hey Joel,
For what you are looking for, I think that you would be happiest with something like the Eibach lowering springs. That will lower your car with the least amount of trouble. I also think that it will be the best in the long run as opposed to something like cutting your springs. The springs are not all that bad as far as price goes and there are several places that sell those springs for our cars. There are also other manufacturers out there who produce the same/similar items for around the same price. Maybe even a little cheaper. That's what I plan on doing myself. About a 1.25-1.5" drop and that is the route I'm going to take. I also hear that you can get your stock springs compressed, but I'm not too sure about getting that done. All are viable options, it just depends on the ride/$$ you want to spend...

How's the car running? Get that vacuum tube replaced yet?

Yep, I got everything fixed and she's runnin better than before. i was thinking about going with the eibach springs. i just dont know where to get them at a decent price. got any suggestions, let me know. by the way i have a friend here in fremont with an '89 XR7 5-speed and his is sooooooo much faster than mine. his is completely stock too. we raced the other night. and i didnt have a chance. now i know the 5-speeds are a little quicker, but he just flew by me in first geer. he even had a bunch of wheel spin at the start. whats that all about? that should be enough questions for now.
Thanks

---Joel---

Oh ya, one more thing. if i did go with the eibach springs, how would i go about installing them. is there anything i'd have to get with them?
Thanks

I have info on removing and replacing the suspension parts. I can copy them and get them to you in the near future. The info I have is for replacing the bushings. Just FYI, I'm the kind of person who will do the bushings and the springs at the same time since the suspension will be apart all at once. And if I were you, I'd go the 'good' way and put on the poly bushings. That way, you won't need to replace them as soon. Do it right the first time, and it will last. In the short term, it will cost just a little more, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

cool, if you could get me those instructions that would be good. again, where should i go to get the springs and bushings, and mystock shocks hold up ok with this suspension, right? or will i need to replace those as well?

I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but with the miles your car has on it, it probably needs new shocks as well. Bushings ran me about $400 for the front and rear kits, but installation will be the tough part. I've checked around Lincoln and the going rate for the bushings I got is about $1k. And I still need other bushings replaced that are not part of those kits. MN12performance.com and supercoupeperformance.com both have the poly bushings, and springs I'm sure. I'm sure that both will have the shocks too, aftermarket, not OEM. OEM will cost more (from dealership) than the Illumina II shocks, but will hold up with that setup. Overall it'll be tough, but not impossible. The toughest part will be where it hits your wallet. I'd guess-ta-mate that it'll cost $200~ for springs, $450~ for shocks and $400~ for bushings. Done yourself, you're looking at about $1k. I'm doing mine in stages. As I get $$ I'm getting the parts and when I have them all then I'll do it at once. One thing to keep in mind though is to have your suspension checked out by a trusted mechanic. I need my inner rear knuckle bushings replaced, but they don't come in the kit. Doing it myself, with little knowledge of it, I would not have known to look at the inner bushings.

And about the race you had the other night, there are a couple things to keep in mind. I'm not the best one to actually know this info, because I have not really ever raced, but here's what I have found out (for future reference, of course): launch RPMs. You want to press the gas while holding the brake until you are about 1500 RPMs (stock lock-up speed of the converter, about and higher for aftermarket converters). And the other is vehicle weight. What do you have in your trunk? And the other thing is your intake. A K&N air filter will also help your intake very much. I'm waiting to get my MP intake since the panel filter is almost $50. A lot to spend for just a little while until I get the cone. I could go ahead with the cone, and I may, but I'm getting my exhaust first. But all-in-all, a 5 speed will have more off the line. I think it is the final gear ratio that does it, but I'm not too sure. A 3.55:1 ora 3.73 rear pinion will also help a lot.

Last edited:
i found the Eibach springs online for about 250. Damn thats alot for springs. my shocks are fine. i dont think theres anything wrong with them. i'm taking my car into a mechanic to have the powersteering pump looked at. i'll just have him take a look at my suspension as well. maybe he can get me a deal on some bushings.(fingers crossed)

He had about 200 lbs worth of stereo equipment in his trunk plus another passenger. i had nothing in my trunk and it was just me. i revved it up to about 2000. tires stuck real good at launch. virtually no wheel spin. as far as intake goes i have a k&n panel filter, plus i've removed the intake silenser. he's got a fram filter and still has the silensor in. let me just tell you i'm extremely depressed right now: ( i just hope theres not something else wrong with my car. it seems to be running great.
no c/e light, no smoke, its not overheating, all fluid levels are good. by the way do you know anyone that has a 94-95 blower and intake plenum for sale. one of my bolt holes is stripped out and supercharger fluid is leaking out. i have the hole gooped up with cilicone and gasket sealent and whatever else i could fine, but that obviously isnt going to last very long.

Thanks

---Joel---

I guess it depends on how much he beat you by. And I'm willing to guess that he has some mods to it, even if he doesn't know it. I'm guessing the rear end has some modification to it, i.e. ring and pinion. The lower the ratio (higher the number: 3.55:1) the quicker the car will accelerate, at the sacrifice of top speed. Other things that are not as visual may have been done too. Roller rockers, underdrive pullies, etc. I'm willing to bet that he is not the first owner of this car, so he may know of no mods to it. Yes, manual transmissions have a little more to offer, but stock to stock, there is not going to be a great difference. I'd get your exhaust done right away. You'll lose a little low end torque, but with other mods you plan on, you'll get that back and more. I'll make you a list of the mods I'm doing and the order in which I am planning to do them to give you an idea of where you want to go. I think that you have pretty much the same in mind as myself, as far as performance.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any pros and cons on the Tokico springs. I ordered a set of Tokico Illuminas for my 1991 SC.. and I haven't ordered the springs yet since I am unsure.

Right now I am torn between Tokico and Intrax springs.

Dauber---
The tokico are by far the better of the two. i dont own either of the two, but i've done extensive research and found that Tokico is probly the best after Eibach or course. they dont cost quite as much either. hope this helps. remember this is based souly on the research i've done.

---Joel---

007_SuperCoupe-----

Heres a list of the mods i'm planning on. in order.

1-exhaust
2-94-95 blower w/89-93 pulley (approx. 3% overdrive i think)
3-cold air intake-ZR if i can get a hold of one
4-195lph fuel pump
5-38lb injectors
6-Lentech shift kit
7-3.73 gears

That'll probly do through this summer.
More to come of course. i check out what you're planning on and maybe i'll add a few things. ; )

---Joel---

Back