fuel octane spouts?????

I killed this topic a few months back....

Overall, I can understand why one would want to run the cheaper grade of gasoline in their tank. With the threat of rising fuel costs due to the impending wars in the middle east OPEC may be gouging the prices for us Americans over the next few months to Make up for the profit lost later during the wars.

I can tell you first hand that running the cheaper grade of Octane in my car will take a few dollars bite out of that $35.00 fill up when the Premium soars to $2.00per gallon.

What the information says is that pulling the spout plug will retard the base ignition timing advance by 3degrees. This should keep a healthy SC out of Knock, however no one has really tested it.

Our knock sensors on our cars is supposed to detect abnormal combustion vibes and pull the timing out when it detects it. By pulling the spout plug, it just pulls the timing out to begin with.

Having said all that, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this on a modified SC. When the gas prices were outrageous, I pulled the belt for my Supercharger and drove around with out it and 87 in the tank.

However, my driving style is such that I generally stay out of boost for most acceleration and cruise at steady speeds. So I was told that this wasn't really an issue and pulling the SC belt was a real overkill.

That past week I've been experienceing consistant sub-zero temps here in NY. And I decided to fill up with 87 octane, but leave my Sc belt on. My spout plug is still plugged in. I drove around with out any issue. I've even poured on about 7lbs of boost without any issue, with an exception of a slight delay in power and not as much at 7psi, than with premium.

The cold temperature will go a long way to allowing the intercooler to actually do it's job for a change and a cooler/denser intake charge will go a long way to reducing detonation as well as proper engine cooling.

I would not run it this way on a 95degree day with the a/c blasting if you catch my drift.....

So yeah, I'd think you'd be safe if you're pretty stock like me. But if you're running overdrive belts and other mods, I'd seriously consider removing the belt or putting the stock S/C pulley back on.

You don't want to remove the spout connector, my brother has a 2.3Turbo in his ranger and he had a problem with spout to make a long story short, it will 1, throw a check engine light and 2, it will keep the engine at base timing. It will run like crap, and will have no get up and go untill it gets into boost.
It will not retard the base ignition timing advance by 3degrees, it will not advance at all.

Good luck
Tim

Read the TCCOA article.

It's pointing out 2 plugs. One is the SPOUT, which you don't want to touch. The other is an Octane plug that when pulled gives you 3 degrees of retarded timing.

With an EEC tuner you can reprogram what happens when that plug is pulled. Then wire the plug for a switch and you can throw in timing ADVANCE with the flick of a switch. (Say at the race track with high octane fuel and ready to rumble)

You pull the SPOUT plug if you want to verify base timing.

Back