Blue Top Injectors

TurboV6

I'm doing some research on modifications to my Buick Grand National. I know, I know.... Why am I here? I figured I would come here for the truth. :rolleyes:

I thinking of putting the Ford Blue Top 36# injectors in my car. I'm getting mixed messages that some certain Fords had them and the Super Coupes didn't. Did the V6 Super Coupes come stock with the Blue Tops or only the 4 cylinders Turbos? I've got a line on 6 at a junk yard, they have blue tops and they are in the Mercury Cougar. Are they most likely the 36# version. And what markings do I need to look for.

Thanks

As far as 36lb blue top injectors go. Only the 94 and 95 super coupes had them. The 89-93 cars had red top injectors rated at 30lbs. As far as the ones from the cougar I'm not sure. What year cougar is it? The 89-90 supercharged cougars had 30lb injectors stock.

94-95 did,

I'm not sure of the color coding system, but I can tell you that 1994-1995 T-bird Supercoupes had #36lb injectors standard equipment on their engines.

Alot of guys with earlier 89-1993 SC's will upgrade to them if they have made some mild modifications, just to be on the safe side.

Most guys with GN's know what they've got and they don't stay stock long. If I were you, I'd be looking into #50lb injectors or something like that, with the kind of power that can be supported by the General's Forced 6.

Word of warning, if the junkyard says that you are getting the injectors from is a Mercury Cougar, I ought to let you know that the Mercury Cougar XR7 with the 3.8L SC was only produced in 89-90. After that Mercury went with the 5.0, while Ford stuck it out with the SC as their top model for a few more years.

So if the junkyard got the injectors out of one of those, I'd expect them to be the #30lb injectors. Unless of course the previous owner was "foward thinking" and upgraded them to the #36lber's.

Found some more info for you.

Yellow tops = 19lb

Light blue tops = 24lb (that is my guess of what they probably are)

Dark blue tops = 36lb (like in the 94-95 sc's)

Oh yeah light green ones form the newer ford lightnings = 42lb

Last edited:
The 4cyl turbo found in SVO mustangs, Turbo coupes, and XR4TI's uses low impedance Peak and hold injectors. I'm pretty sure that the GN and T-Type use high impedance (12-16 ohm) injectors like the SC.

Actual rating for the Blue top injectors used in 94-95 Supercoupes is 34.6Lb/hr

Jeff

Because no one ever listens. Fred said this till he was blue in the face and just gave up.

Jeff

I haven't ever had a problem with injectors. I have an injector test stand like the ones used at RC or any of the guys that rebuild injectors for a living. I have had ones that leak, don't open, stick and bad spray patterns. Every one that I have had has been able to clean and get it back into service. The worst ones I have seen came from Kurt Sunday. His had been sitting for about 2 years with the fuel rail still attached. After about an hour soak in the ultrasonic cleaner they were as good as new. As long as the coil is good then there shouldn't be a problem with them.

Jeff

Thanks for everyone's input!

Deep6... I know more GN drivers go to 50#. But I will have to upgrade my turbo. Besides those guys are pushing 500+ horsepower out of their GNs. I think I will stay with the 36# for now and upgrade when I need to.

Thanks for the input!

Dale

J57ltr said:
I haven't ever had a problem with injectors. I have an injector test stand like the ones used at RC or any of the guys that rebuild injectors for a living. I have had ones that leak, don't open, stick and bad spray patterns. Every one that I have had has been able to clean and get it back into service. The worst ones I have seen came from Kurt Sunday. His had been sitting for about 2 years with the fuel rail still attached. After about an hour soak in the ultrasonic cleaner they were as good as new. As long as the coil is good then there shouldn't be a problem with them.

Jeff
to have the service performed costs close to 20$ at a diesel or injector repair shop etc. How much would an ultra-sonic cleaner cost though

I usually charge $7 an injector to flow test them, back flush, ultrasonic clean, then re flow them after cleaning. The ultra-sonic cleaner is just like any other ultrasonic cleaner but you have to pulse the injectors or it does no good. Ultrasonic cleaners run about $200 and up.

Jeff

Back