Powder Coating Supercharger?

Gregthespy

To anyone who has done this before, I was planning to polish my SC and then apply a coat of clear powder coating to preserve the shine and protect it. My question is how much heat could the SC withstand during the curing process. The cure temp for the clear powder coat is 350* for 15 min. would this be too much for it or would It need to be gutted prior to coating? I would not want to damage the seals or any other internal non-metal parts. Let me know what you think, I was also concidering a lower temp for a longer cure time, but not sure if it would work as well.
Thanks in advance for your input,
Greg Roll

I disassembled mine and powdercoated it. Only thing I didn't coat was the middle plate because I didn't seperate the rotors from it, simply painted it silver & clear. Prep & attention to detail pay off immensely, take your time & do it right.

Blower below was done in "chrome" powder and then in "clear" powder. The black parts are also powdered, they look "wet" in person.

'bird

blwrfin0326.jpg

tbird88.....

Hey Tbird88,
That setup looks sharp, I have been debating wether to go with a similar "chrome" powder or to polish it, I figured my game plan is to attempt to achieve an awesome polish on it then clear it but if the polishing doesn't work out as I hope I am going to do a similar color as yours. What is involved in dissasembling the SC as you did? Is it something that someone with mechanical knowledge could handle or would you recommend that I leave it up to a pro? I just purchased a second SC from djkerridge and plan to spend a great deal of time preping it and pay attention to detail in the prep process. Another quick question, would it be possible to dissasemble the middle plate? or is it not possible unless I get a rebuild?
Thanks for the inspiration with that pic!
Greg Roll

NICE JOB, I will be doing some mods soon and I just wanted every thing on your for sale page. you the man

Re: tbird88.....

Originally posted by Gregthespy
Hey Tbird88,
That setup looks sharp, I have been debating wether to go with a similar "chrome" powder or to polish it, I figured my game plan is to attempt to achieve an awesome polish on it then clear it but if the polishing doesn't work out as I hope I am going to do a similar color as yours. What is involved in dissasembling the SC as you did? Is it something that someone with mechanical knowledge could handle or would you recommend that I leave it up to a pro? I just purchased a second SC from djkerridge and plan to spend a great deal of time preping it and pay attention to detail in the prep process. Another quick question, would it be possible to dissasemble the middle plate? or is it not possible unless I get a rebuild?
Thanks for the inspiration with that pic!
Greg Roll
Polishing and then clear powder should look fantastic. This one I did looks like clear anodized aluminum but I can live with it, now all I need to do is find the time to do the rest of the parts planned and then install 'em.
As far as disassembling the rotor pack, there's some tips/experience posted by j57ltr on the TBSCEC but I can't seem to find the post. He gives an example on how he pulled the rotors so they can be coated. It involves using a press and holdin' your mouth just right, if I run across the post I'll list the URL here.
Getting the rest of the blower apart is fairly easy, here's a very informative post on how to get the snout apart (and back together again)...
Snout instructions

'bird

The lighting wasn't quite right but I took this pic for a before/after comparison. The case is only powdered in chrome, the snout was chrome powdered & then cleared. The clear is necessary on anything that you powder with chrome so it'll be somewhat chemical resistant.
blwrtest0046.jpg

Tbird88,
Thanks for that link, it doesn't seem like rocket science to me, but it sure is nice to have a set of step by step instructions form someone who has done it before, instead of trial and error. I will look for that other post by j57ltr on the rebuild of the rotor pack. any idea where I may find the front bearing? I see you sell the rear and the snout seal, I may be ordering those from you soon once I get some cash, plus those I/C tube gaskets.

By the way, I checked out your link in your signature and it looks like you have a nice set up for fabrication, I envy your ingenuity. Right now since I'm in college I set up a mini shop in my 8' X 10' storage shed! It seems to be just enough room to get most jobs done. :cool:
do let me know if you stumble upon that other post,
Thanks, Greg Roll

Thanks j57ltr,
I will definately be rebuilding my S/C now that I know I have some support like you guys. I didin't know the bearings and seals would be that cheap!! I guess it's just mostly the precision and time in the labor which makes it difficult if you have the right tools. Thanks for the great likns to the posts.
By the way, I just finished polishing my belt tensioners and they turned out awesome! even the steel piece in the middle looks as good as the rest. I will try to post a pic. I think that they came out pretty well for just hand polishing. Enjoy! :cool:
Greg

Attachments

• polished-webs.jpg
    polished-webs.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 489
Sorry guys!

Opps, I guess I need to practice posting pics!
Sorry, I will reduce the image size next time!
Greg:p

Originally posted by SuperCoupe007
Hello tbird88 the blower and all looks absolutely awesome !!!!!!!
Thanks, now all I need is some of Gregthespy's tensioners!

:)

'bird

Back