1994 Underdrive Pulley's

blksc

Anyone running under drive pulleys on a 94+ bird ? i heard there might be some clearance issue, and just what yals opinion

If you don't specify that your ording the underdrive pulley's for 94 or 95 SC and that you'll need the alternator pulley spacer they won't send it. I don't know who your getting the pulley's from but if you call ASP direct and tell them you need the alternator pulley spacer for the 94/5 SC underdrive pulley kit they will send you one free of charge.

asp huh

cool, maybe i'll just order the kit through them. Is it difficult to remove the orginal pulleys ? i thought i read something about the balancer counter weights or something

It's really a piece of cake. The only thing is your going to need a good impact wrench/gun with a swivel to get the alternator pulley nut loose. You'll need the swivel because the intercooler is in the way and prevents the ability to get a straight shot at the alternator pulley nut. Or, you could remove the intercooler but why make it harder on yourself.

Also, the four bolt holes for the crank pulley are offset so it only goes on one way. Don't be concerned with balance pin's. Just slap the crank pulley on and your good to go.

Sorry to burst bubbles... I've been having all kinds of problems getting my ASP's sorted on my '94 SC. It looks like ASP is being pretty helpful (otherwise you'll hear me bitching on Monday) - I'm waiting for the spacer in the mail, but I got the crank and waterpump pulleys on and my crank pulley is SERIOUSLY out of round to the point that I'm going to have to see if ASP will swap it out for me. The pulleys are very easy to replace - except the alternator pulley because it blocks on the intercooler.

On the bright side, I felt that there was a noticeable power increase with the underdrive pulleys.

Also, If you have cooling problems already, you will have a serious cooling problem after underdriving the water pump.

Paul

Yea i've read some posts regarding the pulleys, my bird stays hella cool often below the n during normal driving.

Paul, are you sure you have your crank pulley bolt holes lined up correctly with the balancer holes. The reason I ask is because it's possible to get the four bolts started with the offset holes not lined up right. I know this because I actually did it when I put my first set of underdrive pulley's on. I even tightend the bolt's down but it just didn't feel right so I removed the pulley and discovered the bolt holes were offset. :eek: Luckily I didn't start it up and drive it with the pulley installed wrong:D

Alright, I think I'm confused (I need to call ASP anyway) I put my crank pulley on (for the 3rd time) and it causes a SERIOUS wobble, to the point where if I leave it it will cause engine damage. When I put the stock back on, there was no more wobble. How can the aftermarked be offset if the stock isn't?

The four bolt holes on the stock pulley are offset. Put the stock pulley and the ASP pulley back to back and line up the four bolt holes of one pulley with the four bolt holes in the other pulley. You'll see they only line up in one position.

Last edited:
ASP kicks ashhhhh!!! Ok everything looks good, nice power diffrence! Balancer only had one pin in it, left it alone. I also left the alt pulley out, a little bit of a cooling problem. Going to put a better mix of coolant, hopfully that will take care of it. My water pump pulley seems to wobble, but we have put a calibar<-- that how u spell it? on it while the it was running and it was fine, wierd. Anyone else have problem with their water pump pulley? Thanks everyone for the help

Victor

well

My problem with the pulleys is that the car started a charging problem, it so i took of the pulley and the charging system is back to normal, but this was after a year of use. so I dont know if it caused long term problems with the alternator. I will probably install it back after a new battery to see if it will work. I do have heavy stereo equipment so this might my be the problem, but for now no alt pulley.

Did anyone lose some boost with these pulleys?? The car feels stronger, but I lost about 2 psi of boost. Could be a vac leak I got getting worse, but the gauge still sits where it has on the vac side on the boost gauge? oh well gonna try to put my old stuff on and see what happens.

Perv, check out the harmonic balancer, that may be the proble. The stock unit is not very good, there made out of steel, with an aluminum bushing pressed over that steel section, once I looked at that piece, I instantly called BHJ, a sweet piece I must say.

I'm running ASP's on my '95 WITH NO trouble at all. I have since boughed a set of the MARCH sets from one guy who got them on the group buy, then sold his SC.

I also had an alternator problem, but no big deal, I was running FULL stereo in the winter(CANADA). So with the weather dipping down around -20, i was having the lights dim a little at stop lights, but that would be with the wipers on, heat cranked, lights, stereo cranked up. So you can see why that was happening to me.

Lost boost, hm, didn't happen to me, but like you said,, maybe something else.

Hey Plev72!

Plev you have a defective crank pulley. These have been recalled since I called ASP and told them about this problem a couple of months back. They made a batch of bad ones a few months ago, the defect is that the hole in the crank pulley is too large. It is supposed to fit tightly over the damper hub. It's "Hubcentric". With the larger hub locating hole it will be impossible to center the pulley. It only gets close using the bolt holes and the bolts can't be trusted to hold the drive loads, only to hold the pulley on. Take it back off immediately, you don't want to throw the pulley at speed, I've done that and was lucky only minor damage and a lot of noise. ASP will replace the crank pulley.

Vernon

excellent, thanks for the info. I was supposed to get a call back from them a few days ago and didn't... I'll have to try and pursue tomorrow. I really am looking forward to the gain from the underdrive pulleys.... it will be nice have them actually correct.

Back