I need help with some info AOD

slow bird

Well...my transmission is almost done...but i need to do some more things. Can some one tell me how to fix a sticking overdrive valve. and possible a diagram of the tightening sequence for the valve body.........AOD on a 1990 lx v6

Possible instructions step by step.

AOD Valve body removal

Let me start by saying that I don't recommend anyone try this without prior trans experience. If you must learn by doing, you have to start some where right? First, remove the pan, then the three bolts securing the filter to the V/B, then all the remaining bolts securing the V/B. When you remove the bolts you will find there are 2 different lengths, but there location is obvious. (to me anyway). You should also notice that 2 bolts are different than the rest. They fit tighter in their holes. These are line-up bolts. It is VERY IMPORTANT that they be re-installed first and in their original locations. When you have the V/B off you will need to replace the gaskets. (unless you get lucky and don't tear them, even the slightest damage is unacceptable) On the back side of the V/B you will find three disks bolted and one other bolt by itself holding what is called the separator plate. Note there is a gasket on both sides and they are different. When you remove the plate be sure to have it facing up as if it were on the trans. BE VERY CAREFUL as under it there are 2 one-way valves with springs under them beneath the plate. Be sure to note the color and location of both. There are also several small rubber balls and one larger ball under the plate. It is VERY IMPORTANT that they ALL be reinstalled in their original locations or the trans WILL NOT WORK. So be sure to TAKE YOUR TIME and mark them with a small "X" right next to where they go. I use a pick to lightly scribe the mark into the aluminum. When you have it apart, check to see that all the valves are free. there are alot so take your time. if you find one that is stuck, you can first try slamming (I know this sound harsh, but i do it all the time) the V/B down HARD AND FLAT against a metal or sturdy wooden work bench. I put the side facing away from the trans flat in the palm of my hand and swing it over and slam it flat on the bench. If you land sideways or hit one side way before the other, you just bought a 400$ V/B and learned how NOT to do it. if that doesn't work, (usually does) then you will have to remove the valve. and I would be typing all night to tell you how to do that. Sorry. When you put it back together, use the 2 line-up bolts to line up the gaskets and plate while you put the bolts back in. order of these is not important but they should be torqued to 90-100 inch-pounds NOT FOOT-POUNDS thats about 7-8 foot pounds. V/B bolt should be torqued to the same, but tighten them from the center- out. I should conclude by telling you that if your fluid shells burned or if you find metal filings in the pan or black goo,(burned clutch matierial) then don't bother because your trannys toast and needs to be rebuilt. (you can get your gaskets from Ford if you insist on trying to fix it yourself, Just be sure to give them your vin when ordering.)

Good Luck!
The Trans Doc

the trans

the tranny he is talking about I just rebuilt for him has all new clutches bands seals he told me the trans works but wont go into over drive, I have not been able to go see the car ,, he did replace the torque converter, this trans was bad the input shaft was severed off and all clutches were toast all steels were toast the valve body had signs of rust on springs when I tore it apart, I cleaned and moved all pistons plungers and made sure they werent binding but did have trouble with a few,,,, had trans case flushed and pressure checked so there should not be any debre or cracks in case,, I did not install trans so dont know if tv cable is adjusted right, or if shifter is right, did put in a shift kit, did the milder of the two, tightened the valve body as per spec,,, I am wondering if I may have raped the seal on overdrive apply, I am human I need to see car but Im a whole 10 minutes away lol sorry matt I will try to see it soon or you can just drive over any time after 6 mon- fri. anyone have a idea what may be wrong please give your input,

Back