Traction-Loc/Weight-loss

TheTransDoc

Could someone tell me whether the factory LSD is a cone or clutch type? What is the diameter of the '90 model gearset? Also does anyone have any ideas on shedding weight (lots of weight) without any adverse affects?

1990 SC 82,000 miles Auto. W/ Tranny Mods including
Trans-Go Reprogramming Kit, 4R70W Wide Ratio Gear Train,
4 Clutch Intermediate Clutch-Pack (2nd gear), Late Model
AODE Wide Overdrive band, 3000 stall custom convertor.
ALL MODS DONE MYSELF, E-MAIL ME FOR INFO
Atlanta, GA

Last edited:
It's an 8.8 clutch-type differential. Some would suggest replacing the IRS with a 9in but your unsprung weight would take a tremendous leap skyward.
If you're lookin' to save weight elsewhere, there's lots of small (and not so small) parts that can be removed or replaced/duplicated with lighter materials. Just depends on how industrious you wanna get. The front bumper support (hidden behind the bumper cover) weighs 44 pounds, can be duplicated in aluminum tubing.
Myself, I'm waitin' for the day when the street version of tubular k-members for our cars is a reality.

'bird

You can also use an Aluminum Differential housing from a 99+ Cobra (I think 99 was the first year for IRS) Some of the mustang sites sell them.

to save about 20 pounds, buy a spool(just make sure you dont make any right hand turns:p ) and the aluminum Mark VIII diff, or Cobra, same thing(housing). Not really worth it

My Cervini hood knocked more than 40lbs off my front end - makes for a little better weight transfer under acceleration and better front/rear balance for handling. :)

I yanked the entire interior out of mine and removed over 200 lbs. The only thing left is the carpet, dash, and drivers seat. And yes it made quite a difference. About 1/4 sec or so. Makes it feel a lot more nimble, too.

Back