Problems With Clutch pushrod

FordManJoe

I have a 1990 SC with the 5speed manual and am having a problem with the clutch pushrod. I cant seem to get the correct bushing from Ford and am just plain fed up with trying to get the right part from them. Just wanted to know if anyone has solved this problem creatively on their cars. I really dont want to rip out the dash just so I can get to the pedals and my contortionist ability is very limited. The original design is idiotic in my opinion and not made to last very long. I truly appreciate any help as I enjoy driving my car without zip ties holding the pushrod on the pedal :)

The correct nylon bushing is available for like $3 from Ford. I don't have the part number, but it is the same as for an F150 and the dealer should stock it. It's just a little white bushing/clip.

Caution though: If you have been going without this bushing, then metal to metal wear has begun. If the pin in the clutch pedal has worn too far, the new bushing will not last, and if the pump rod has worn too much the bushing will not stay in.

The pump rod is serviced only as an assembly to the master cylinder, and the clutch pedal assembly is no longer available. I have repaired this in two ways, but in both cases it required removing the cltuch pedal which is a ROYAL pain in the butt. Once you get it out, you will see what the problem is.

If you continue to drive it as I did after wear has set it, what may happen is the clutch will not fully release resulting in hard shifting and ruined syncros. I speak from experience here.

Sorry I don't have any better news. You will need to get up in there and inspect things for wear/damage.

Oh its worn out...

Ive inspected it and have found that the pin and the rod are both worn very much so. Would you say the best course of action is to replace the pedal and the slave cylinder? I was afraid that this would be the only way to go. You would figure Ford would have put some sort of cotter pin in the the clutch pedal pin to keep the pushrod from moving to much. Thanks for the info, ill try to do whatever to fix this because this is the only prob keeping the bird down.

my clutch works, but my pedal i can grab and pull it up about a 1/2 inch. I am going to replace the master cylinder when I get my new clutch installed. But I wonder why my clutch pedal has play. It works and is driveable but its something that I notice and I would like to correct. Is this the same problem you are having? Mine has been like this for about 3 years now.

I HATE 5-speed SC's!!!!!!! I am so tempted to put an AOD in this bitch.

With all the parts in good shape, there is no movement.

You can replace the master cylinder, but the clutch pedal is no longer available. As long as the original nylon bushing was in tact, no wear occurred. As long as it isn't in there, there will be constant wear.

What I did is took the pedal out and removed the pin that was worn. Took a little grinding. Then I made a new pin, rewelded the end of the clutch rod, and put it back together. I figure this is a temporary fix as I could not put the stock nylon bushing back in.

What needs to happen is we need to get a good pin out and have the dimensions sent to a good machine shop so that new pins can be made right.

That part I haven't gotten to yet.

Back