Mystery Solved(sordda)

IMPORTDESTROYER

OKI, i've been having this great problem lately with missing anti-freeze. I didn't know were it was goin?? The coolant ferry maybee, who knows. Car runs great(most of the time), exhaust doesn't smell sweet, warms up pretty good in tha winter, and the temp gauge doesn't go all whacky. I was baffled, then today, while i was parking, i noticed a little bit of steam in front of my lights, so i pop the hood, and VOILA, there a little drops of anti freeze scattered(mainly between the rad cap, and resevoir). So i figure my rad cap is shot, replace it tommarow, but for good measure(and sum style points), I was wondering if anyone makes chrome, or polish, upper and lower rad hoses. Also, could this possibly another problem, or just a faulty cap??

Thanx
Luke

Just take a good look at the side caps for the radiator as well. A leaking seam at the top could make it look like the cap. I believe you have the Aluminum core with plastic side caps.

i havent seen any chrome rad hoses, but i know some SC'ers have used some sleeves that fit over the rubber hoses. I think they're like stainless steel braided sleeves, they look pretty cool

Yes check the plastic tank seals. I have a 95 that has lost coolant since day one from the dealer. No one could find the leak. I have had every hose, water pump, HG, and radiator changed all at once. I mean every last single sorry expensive hose there is. Guess what? It still smelled af coolant and lost it. So I just decided to live with the light on the dash and stop worrying.

Someone expalined to me that it could just be steam from the plastic tanks on the Al radiator letting out only steam. There is never ever any evidence of where it goes. Just the smell up at the front of the car, not inside.

Doug

cool Flex would be a nice add-on
hose_spiral_130_high.jpg

Nice stuff, but pretty pricey.

Also, what is the part number for the Stant Lift-lever Radiator cap? I went to Auto-zone and their book doesn't show a listing for the SC. Any ideas?

SC's take a 16lb radiator cap, so any with a release at that pressure is the one that you are looking for.

Cheers,
Calvin

Back