early resonator on a '94?

tbird88

Recently got a '94 5spd that has Flowmasters on it. Not absolutely crazy about the tone but I'm tryin' my hardest to get used to it. Put the car up on a lift today & snapped a few pics of the underside for reference, kept starin' at that dinky resonator and that ugly 3rd cat...

Any thoughts on cutting the pipes right behind the front cats...unbolting the resonator...then grafting in early pipes and resonator?

Think it'll deepen the tone? Will it quiet it down too much?

thanks,

'bird

Attachments

• gladys2726.jpg
    gladys2726.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 141
If anything use a larger resonator in place of the factory one. Any turbo type muffler would actually work I believe and would be cheap:O)..Changing over to the earlier setup wont make it any deeper tone wise

sorry for the spam...

But on my 94 I did custom 2 1/2 down tubes into high flow cats, with a flowmaster 50 series muffler and straight pipe back, most say its hard to get the v8 sound from our cars but this setup delivers.

I told you I'd come haul that stuff off...

Originally posted by AsScLoWn
isnt that setup from a V8?:confused:
You ain't confused...you were just walkin' through that jungle of SC goodies that you call a shop and the power went off and you tripped over all those parts in the dark and you banged your head on one of those double ic's you got layin' all over the place. :)

'bird

Originally posted by blksc
Interesting, that looks like an exhaust from an pre 94 car. My 94sc didnt have a third cat or that small resonator.

hey tbird88 email me ! coneil@gibsondunn.com

i found the manifolds
Is yours a 5spd?

'bird

ps: by the way, I already emailed you about the porting job. Did you recieve it?

Originally posted by Damon Slowpoke Baumann
If anything use a larger resonator in place of the factory one. Any turbo type muffler would actually work I believe and would be cheap:O)..Changing over to the earlier setup wont make it any deeper tone wise
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna gut the cats, the ones on my '89 auto are toast and I like the sound (so call me crazy), kinda has a header ping to it. Hoping to get a little bit rowdier sound out of this one, a metallic snarl is kinda what I'm lookin' for. If nuthin' else, maybe gettin' rid of the 3rd cat will at least get me headed in the right direction.

thanks!

'bird

The 94-95 5 speeds had the small resonator with the 3rd cat and the Auto's had the same old setup with the large resonator and only 2 cat's.
Now as to why?....I have no answer:)

Yes, that's the 94 - 95 5-speed only exhaust ... same configuration as the V8 cars as Raj mentioned. On my 95 5-speed, we eliminated the 3rd cat when installing the 2-1/4" downtubes with high-flow cats, and used a small dual-in / single-out muffler as the resonator ... sounds nice with Dynomax, and now Borla mufflers on the car ... can't say how it would sound with Flowmasters. Sorry, no pics to post of it either.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

one theory is that the third car on the 5spds were to help meet emmissions. Seems there was a little more during the shifts that was leaking out then should. Like I said, that is one theory that I have heard.

Cheaper cat's.

Auto's must not have had space for the 3 cat setup. The three cats were necessary since they eliminted EGR. you need a 3-way catalyst to handle that. But a 3-way catalyst is more expensive then a 2-way.

So since the 5speed has room, 2 2-way, and one 3-way or maybe just a 1-way. Basically to clean up NOX.

Anyway, that's typically why a car will have 3 cats. Two for the normal stuff and another for the NOX. Cars now just have 3 way cats everywhere. The auto's must not have allowed the extra room for the 3rd cat so they needed to put 2 3ways in.

Back