check engine light on decelleration!

tondog

i just finished rebuilding the engine in my 89 5-speed and even with all my mods, it still passed smog. now, when im driving and i let off the gas, with it still in gear, the check engine light will come on. as soon as i toutch the gas pedal it goes off. the light doesnt come on any other time and i ran it for codes and there are none. any ideas?
oh, also, my e-brake light comes on periodically. any ideas on that?

Im not real sure about the check engine light, but your brake light will come on when you are low on brake fluid. You might be just low enough that it isnt on all the time, but under certain weight shifts (i.e. turning a corner or heavy acceleration) the light will come on. That's what mine was doing to me. I put some brake fluid in and it stopped.

Brandon
'91 SC 5-speed
Flowmaster cat-back
B&M Ripper shifter
Port matched heads & intake
fully ported late style blower and inlet

14.59@93.30 (before blower and inlet)

Common problem....

You have a LAZY O2 sensor!!!!!! This is common on any SC. The O2 sensors are reading the exhaust and when you decellerate, the amount of pollutants increase to the point that the SC computer says, HEY, THIS AIN'T GOOD!!!!! Then, the computer says, OH, FALSE ALARM!!!!!! This will keep happening until you change the O2's. Will not harm anything for now, and you will get better gas milaege when you change them.

Don

Back