Water Pump question

1990_Tbird_SC

ok ive got coolant coming out of a little hole on the bottom of the crankshaft pulley that means my WP is done correct.

Last edited:
Usually. But there have been times that I've seen cars leak one time and not do it again for a while. If its pretty consistent about it, or leaks without pressure on the system, then its definitely time.

well i left a small pond of antifreeze in the garage so i figured it was time for it to be changed to my knowledge its the orginal one which means it has 175000 miles on it. If you know ive got the waterpump off but i dont know how to tell wether its bad or not. What should i look for

Originally posted by 1990_Tbird_SC
ok ive got coolant coming out of a little hole on the bottom of the crankshaft pulley that means my WP is done correct.
I assume you mean the small hole on the underside of the water pump housing(?) Yep, sure sign of a bad pump. Keep the Neosporin and a box of bandaids handy. :)

'bird

ps: O'Reillys books showed an SC-specific unit so double-check the pump the partshouse gives you. It could be that the shaft might be a teenie weenie bit longer than a regular 3.8 pump.

1990_Tbird_SC said:
If you know ive got the waterpump off but i dont know how to tell wether its bad or not. What should i look for

Well, at that point I think the question is moot, LOL! Just go ahead and put the new one on. It is new right? Not remanufactured? Tell me its not a reman please!!!!

Yes buy a NEW one. You will be glad you did. When I replaced mine at 100,000 miles I found a Ford reman label on the one I replaced. Mine wasn't bad, but I was doing timing chain and Crank sensor at the time. Previous owner must have let Ford dealer do all work. The car even had Motorcraft Battery.

There are a lot of reman stuff out there that lacks any quality control.

Sometimes you just luck out.

well i got a reman since im on a tight budget and the car is goin to be gone in a few months (Dont hate me :) ) im just really want a stang 5.0 so at least im stickin with ford. But i replaced it and it works fine so thank you all for your help.

Back