Advise please...

NorthrnSCownr

<font color=firebrick>I am going to be replacing my water pump, and drivers side valve cover gasket soon, and would like any advise on what else I could or should do while I have it all apart. I am also going to replace the belts (all 3). <P>Will the plugs and wires be easy to get to as well at that point? What about the timing chain? Thanks for any advise guys!</font>

If you're going to be replacing the valve cover gasket, you'll be removing the IC tubes, the supercahrger, and the rear intake plenum. With all that suff out of the way, you'll easily be able to access all the plugs on the driver's side.
If you weren't, then the best way is to pull the driverside wheel off and crawl underneath with a small ratchet and deep socket to get them out.
When you install the new plugs, be sure to use dielectric grease on the plugs and inside the plug boots.

This would also be a good time to check your engine mounts and replace them with solid units. If you are removing all the accessories to get to the waterpump and valve covers, it will be easy to do the mounts from the top. Or, maybe I should say easier.....nothing is easy on an SC.........

So I would just have to jack up the motor, and the mounts should be fairly easy to get to? How long do you estimate the mount replacement to be after having those other items removed?

Hard to say just how long it will take....but when I did mine, the biggest part of the job was removing all the accessories from the front of the engine. Once you have the "junk" out of the way you will have a clear view of the mounts. I took a couple of days during the holidays doing mine, but I took my time and spent a lot of extra time with a spray bottle of degreaser getting everything clean.

Thanks for the advise Larry. The tasks are starting to really ad up, and I am trying to fit it in to a weekend.....Valve gaskets, water pump, 3 belts, mounts, and reassembly(which has me a bit nervous resealing the tubes, I don't have time to put it back together, and then hear a leak) Anyway, the degreaser is also something I should add to the list, so thanks for the advise... Tom

Re-sealing the tubes should not present any problems. I use Permatex RTV gasket seal (sensor safe type). Just spread a thin coat on the mating surfaces. I use it to seal the SC top to the SC housing and the tubes to the innercooler. One thing about re-installing the tubes, Don't tighten either the top or the bottom tube until both are connected and "snugged up". This will insure that both tubes get a good fit and seal properly.
If you remove the SC top, be very careful not to overtighten the bolts when you re-install. The SC case is aluminum and the threads will strip out. I believe the specs call for only around 8ft/lbs of torque which is basically a touch more than hand tight.

That sounds good Larry. I plan on taking the top off of the SC with the tube attached. Thanks for helping to boost my confidence on this one ;)

Back