Is brake cleaner safe to clean out the differental, with the clutches in there and al

Nick Sc

Is brake cleaner safe to clean out the differental, with the clutches in there and all. I've been told that there are clutch disces in there but I don't see any. If there are I sure don't want to mess them up by useing somthing that is to strong on them. Thanks Nick

It's ok

Not a problem as long as you are not soaking it.

I would take some motor oil and just get it out with that when done. Let it drain for a few minutes and refill with fresh gear oil.

DON'T FORGET THE FRICTION MODIFIER!!!!!!!!

Don

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the part# for the FRICTION MODIFIER Also why does one need this. How much do I use??

From a post by Fast ED N in the Super Coupe Club of Ontario forums:

Jim, the original fluid would be 80W90 gear oil. The change interval from Ford would probably be 100 -150,000 km.

Your car does NOT have a plate-type traction-lock diff, the 94 - 95 auto. trans SC cars were equipped with an open differential, having the electronic traction control tied in with the ABS brakes instead.

All of the 89 - 95 manual trans. SCs, and 89 - 93 auto. trans cars, had the traction-lock differential that uses the friction modifier with the gear oil to keep the clutch packs from chattering.

I've used Ford 75W140 synthetic gear lube in mine since just after I got the car at 55,000 km, I have almost 180,000 on it now. Ford had a service bulletin for many of the cars in the mid-90s with 8.8 locking diffs, to cure a chattering problem. Mine would groan and chatter when hot while making tight turns, in a parking lot for example, after driving it for 30 - 40 minutes. The bulletin advised the use of updated clutch packs for the diff., the friction modifier, and the 75W140 synthetic fluid.

cheers
Ed N.

Back