Leaking Fuel Tank

hytorksc

Has anyone here ever had a fuel leak from somewhere on top of the fuel tank before? This is strange to me but it started a few days ago very suttle gas smell with no evidence on the ground... until today. A good size puddle is on the floor of my garage and it seems to be coming from the side where the fuel pump is. It was so bad that my home was filled with the smell of gasoline. It looked pretty bad as the puddle was a brown color (maybe just dirt picked up from run off the top of the tank.

Is this a common or normal thing to happen for a '92 SC with 114k miles?

Is it usually the tank or the original fuel pump going bad?

Can I still drive it until i figure out how to fix it (it's very cold where i live- 10 degrees outside)?

Need help and ideas fast-
anyone?? please?

thanks-

Randy

its never normal for gas to leak out lol...I would guess the oring or rubber bushing around the fuel pump, if there is one..

Or it could be the discharge line from the pump...

I had (have) a similiar problem on my 89 SC. When I first got the car, it ran like crap, and the previous owner stated that when he would fill up the tank, he would smell a strong odor of gas. Well, when I dropped the gas tank to change the pump (which was very bad), where the discharge (outlet) fuel line came out of the sending unit/pump assembly, was cracked. Apparently, the factory "weld", or "solder" job had given out, probably because someone manhandeld it too much. I tried to seal it with some RTV (very temporary, i know, i know...) and it did work, but started leaking again. Not a big deal for me though, since I just bought a 92-up style fuel tank and am having my unit fixed, my problem will be solved. Also, like stated in the previous reply, it very well could be the o-ring for the same sending unit as well.

Good luck and don't let anyone throw any cigs under you SC.

Phil

I found a recall about this for 1992-93 T birds ?

NHTSA Recall No. 97V159/Ford Recall No. 97S84

Vehicles: Ford 1992-1993 Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar vehicles manufactured from August 1991 through September 1993.

Population: 125,000 vehicles sold or currently registered in the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

Problem: Movement of the fuel lines causes the nylon fuel line jumper to chafe against the floor pan. This wear can cause a pin hole in the fuel line resulting in fuel leakage. This fuel leakage results in dampness and fuel odor, and if an ignition source was present, a fire could result.

Remedy: Dealers will install a plastic convolute covering around the fuel lines. If the lines show a leak, the lines will be replaced first. Owners should contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332.

This may not be the problem, but it would help to pursue this too.

Tank Repair

Is it easy to drop the tank from under the car and repair the leak or can i take out the back seat and cut a hole in the frame near the fuel pump to fix the leak?

Can anyone tell me step by step how to safely drop the tank and repair it?

I don't trust the ford techs based on past experiences with this car, but would it be worth the trouble to fix it myself or let them do it? Is it expensive?

Randy-

You don't want to cut a hole under the seat with fumes floating around there. From under the car you need to remove the exhaust from the res back. Then 4 bolts hold the tank via straps. Usually it's the O-ring, but that TSB is a likely cause as well.

Jeff

I actually have a similar problum where if I fill my tank ,I get a VERY strong gas smell coming into the vehicle, and when my guage drops down to 3/4 of a tank the smell goes away. I was told it could be the vent (breather) or the inlet for the gas. I wouldn't suspect a whole in the tank thought it is ppossible. It also doesn't seem to be lines or the pupm, as it is only with a full tank that it occurs.<p>I haven't had the problum since I bought the car as I am only filling it half full until it's warm enough to investigate.

gas leak

I also have the problem of an odor of fuel when I fill up.I checked to day using a mirror to look underneath I notice nothing unusual but intend to raise car and check thoroughly, to cold right now so car must remain on the street until more favorable weather. Will post what I find. Btw I noticed the odor also while standing outside of the car on the passenger side. mine is 89 Tbird sc:confused:

Gas odor from tank....

When I dropped my tank for the first time to change the fuel pump, I was shocked with what I had found. Since the pump/sender unit is in the tank and well below the top of the tank, the tank doesn't really have to be full full for it to leak. What I saw on my 89 SC blew my mind. I too down the tank, and went to disconnect the harness from the sender/pump assembly, only to find that there was NO CONNECTOR, just the METAL LEADS were attached where the connector should have been. All it would have take is for a small spark, and I would have been toast!!!! After closer inspection, I found a crack in the "solder/sweating/welding" where the fuel discharge tubing runs through the "cover" of the fuel pump/sending unit. You could not just see it, but move around the whole line, so when the fuel got to above say 3/4 of a tank or so, it would leak from the unit, but knowing the evaporative nature of gasoline, it would never evidence itself on the tank, or drip to the ground. I also think that when the fuel soaked the harness plug, that eventually it made it so brittle that it just disintregated, leaving nothing but the bare leads (extremely dangerous). I just wonder how much fuel has been leaking and just pissing away my hard earned $$$$
I spent just to have it leak from the tank??!?!?.

I just recently bought the 92-up style tank and will have this problem permantly fixed soon as I still have a small leak. Hope this helps someone!!!

Phil Stocker

The leak is most likely from the steel lines coming out of the fuel pump assembly. Thats where mine was leaking. If you drive a couple of gallons out of the tank the leaking will stop. Only on complete fill up will you have a problem. You are going to have to buy a new fuel pump assembly. They only problem with this is you can only buy with stock sized pump. If you are stock this isn't a problem. You could always switch out the new pump motor from the assemply with a Walbro 190 LPH or higher though. You will have to drop the tank to do the work.

Sorry
Jerry

Fixing the pump/sender assembly...

I think it may be possible to repair the cracked unit if one knows how to operate a propane torch and knows how to "weld", like plumbers do.. This would save $$ from having to buy a new assembly that will likely crack in the future. Just a thought.

Phil

I thought of that, but didn't want to recommend that to anybody with gasoline involved. If they thought it up on their own ok. If you are going to solder it up please take the fuel tank out of the garage first and air everything out first.

Would a fuel tank upgrade solve this problem or is this an inherent flaw with all model years of sc's and cougars and somewhere down the road it could happen again.

Tank upgrade to solve problem....

I don't think that this would solve anything. I am changing my tank to faciliate the addition of the newer 92-up exhaust. It is not really a "flaw" as much as it is a problem with the handling of these parts when they are worked on. I think what is probably causing this problem is that when say the gas tank is dropped or the fuel lines are manipulated, and not handled properly then the tension placed on the fuel pump/sender unit will cause it to break and leak.

As for fixing the unit, DEFINETLEY DO NOT attempt a repair when anywhere near the tank!!!! Take the unit outside, far away and in open air.

Phil

My Repairs

I drained the tank down to almost empty and removed the whole pump assembly. I actually took a very large pair of monster shears and literally cut a "U" shaped hole thru the frame to get to the pump from inside the car (i did not use the drop fuel tank method). took the pump in the house and cleaned the outside first including the fuel strainer with dish soap and water, took my battery charger and connected the negative and positive leads to run the motor and pumped soapy water from my sink thru the system to clean out the insides (this was very risky, but i used rubber gloves to avoid a shock hazard). After all traces of gasoline were removed and the unit dried out, i very carefully used a small propane torch to apply thick rosin core wire solder around both inlet and outlet joints (laid on a very thick bead all the way round). The solder took to the metal perfectly and made it very rigid and leak proof.
After detailing the unit, reinstalled the pump after cleaning the o-ring and gasket, applying a generous portion of gasket sealant (a black tacky substance) on the o-ring seat and on the metal to plastic rim on the outside. works like a charm- no leaks.

BUT, i spilled some gasoline drippings on my carpet on the inside of the car and now having a devil of a time trying to get the smell out. the smell is not bad, but it's enough to be annoying.

And there you have it- a little unorthodoxed but done...
Hats off to ford SC engineering- make simple things as difficult as possible. Let's see how the customer can adapt to an unfinished product.

and i still love this car...

Randy-

Tell you what. I called ford and when I told them I had a gas smell in the 93 bird and the recall was not done on this car. Lets just say they are calling me to bring it in. I have a appointment today .Will let you know what happends

Only took about 4 hr`s and got a new headlight switch and all new fuel lines for free. gota love recalls. Im glad I didnt have to drop that sucker.

Back