Dropping Fuel Tank

hytorksc

Can anyone please tell me step by step how to lower the fuel tank from under the car safely so i can repair it sometime later this morning? Should i attempt to get to it and repair from inside the car by cutting a hole thru the frame under the back seat? I have a fairly big leak coming from the top where the fuel pump is and i need to address it right away before i go back to work on tuesday.

Should i repair the fuel tank (if it is an o-ring seal leak at the fuel pump) or take it to the ford dealer? Is it worth the trouble and effort to do this myself? And- is it expensive to fix?

Need responses from those who experieced this before- i know i'm not the only one.

thanks-

Randy

Hey hytorksc, i haven't had any personal experience with the gas tank removal, but here is a lil something, hope it helps...
#1 Try to have the gas tank as empty as possible.
#2 Relieve the fuel pressure from the system, you can do this by disconneting the Fuel-Shut Off switch located in the trunk, then turn on the car until the motor stops..
#3 Disconnect the battery (negative terminal).
#4 Raise the car and secure it on jack stands.
#5 Remove the exhaust pipe, take off the bolts that are located after resonator and remove all the pipe. and remove the exhaust shield as well.
#6 Loosen the hose clamps, they secure the fuel filler neck and the breather hose to the fuel tank, then detach the hoses.
#7 Next detach the end of the vapor cross-over hose, this is located near the rear of the driveshaft.
#8 Use a floor jack to support the fuel tank as you are gonna lower it.. *tip* use a piece of wood so that you don't damage the fuel tank.
#9 Remore the retaining strap bolts so that the fuel tank can be lowered with the floor jack..
#10 Lower the tank enough so that you can disconnect the fuel lines and the electrical connectors.

Back