quick question see smoke

Thunderboooosh

ok i just bought this 90 sc 5 speed and i let it warm up for a little popeds the hood and i see whte smoke not a lot but like something is burning coming from the passaenger side of the back of the motor dontknow what it is.... could it be HEAD GASKETS or someother gasket

well thanks for your help

tommy

Could be a head gasket. But it also could be oil leaking from the vavle cover. The easiest way to check for HG trouble is to take it to a trusted mechanic and have them run a chemical test on the antifreeze. It tests for oil in the antifreeze. And while you're at it, keep a very close eye on your overflow tank. Any unexplained loss in coolant is also a good indication. Check your oil daily for a filmy residue. And usually when your HG goes, there will be white smoke coming from the exhaust.

Smoke coming from the pass side of the engine is not an sure fire indication of a blown HG. The valve covers have the tendancy to become very loose which leaks a lot of oil. Mine was doing it too. And in about 1500 miles, I added 2 1/2 quarts of oil because it was leaking that bad. I have since resealed the upper 1/2 of my engine and now leak about 1/2 quart evey 3k miles (from the lower 1/2 of the engine now). I'd spend about $30-40 on the chemical test for peace of mind.

thanks man

the car has about 160,000 miles :rolleyes: on it and it never had any upper half of the gaskets replaced so i think i am going to just tear it down and do it all cause got to take the valve covers off to get to the heads so i will replace all that

thanks for your help

tommy

Back