Maf

nervekiler

ok... i read the article on how to gut your stock MAF. its basically just cuttin out that thing in the middle and drillin the sampling tube. but when i had my airbox off i checked out my MAF. mine does not look like the other ones i see look like (pic below).

as you can see i have nothing inside the MAF. i have no sampling tube and i dont have that little vane in the middle like the other pics i see.

is mine possibly an aftermarket MAF or what? someone tell me what it is.
259770_34_full.jpg

259770_35_full.jpg

maf

its my understanding that that upgrade is only for late 91 and up SC's. if you have a 89 to early 91, you have a 55mm unit that doesnt have the middle column. you could still get a later modle and gut it, but to my knowledge you can't do anything with the earlier unit. if your car is a later model, then you may have an aftermarket mass-air. you can tell by measuring the out side diameter of the unit. i believe the after-market equipment units are at least 70-75mm for the small ones.

duh

i should've read your signature, yes, all 90 SC's have the small unit, but just go to the classifieds and post that you want a late model maf, and you should get quite a few responses(or you could go with a C&L unit available at supercoupe performance.com)

Keep your original MAF so you can put it back on in case the modded 1 causes detonation. I say that because it is 1 of the main reasons head gaskets blow, long with overheating and high back pressure from over boosting the exhaust. good luck

?

do you mean that the actual porting out of the maf will cause the car to detonate, or just an untuned maf?

I'm just saying to keep a close eye on it because I've run the 70mm MAF with & w/o the mod and it can cause detonation under some conditions. So when your having trouble with your car, start by putting the 55mm back on and see if the problem goes away. When you do the drilling of the sampling tube, be sure to use a drill press b/c its very thin and must be straight. good luck

I was searching a junk yard the other day when I came accrossed a 93 Thunderbird 3.8 N/A, I looked at the mass air flow sensor and I noticed that it was a 70mm unit. I didn't have my unit to campare part number but I will next time I go to the salvage yard.
Hope this information helps someone.

Tim

ya, see if the ones from a n/a 'bird will work, then i won't have to destroy the stock one in case it doesn't work right!:D

Yes,that 1 you saw on the 93LX would work. Ford seams to have used the same 1 on most of their cars b/c I've seen the same 1 on 5.0 & 4.6s too. If you get it with the air box top that it mounts to, it makes it a lot easier to swap it on and off. good luck

you have a '90 so you had to swap for a 7omm, do you think i would have the same problems if it came stock with the 70mm?
just wonderin!

Back