what to torque the valve cover bolts to

Hi, jnobles.

Valve cover bolts are to be torqued to 6 to 8.5 lb/ft, according to the factory 90 shop manual. Hope this helps.

It is my understanding that there are 12 inch/lbs to 1 ft/lb. that would calculate out to around 7 to 9 ft/lbs. That seems about right for torqueing the bolts into the aluminum heads. You don't need a lot of torque, too much will strip the threads.....

what to torque the valve

Divide that by 12 to get ft. lb., so you're only looking at about 7 or 8 ft.lb. and your ft. lb. torque wrench is no good for that low a spec. I use a little thread lock and tighten with my weak hand, and not with the handle of a 1/4" drive socket, just to make them evenly snug (not tight) all of the way around. The valve covers are made of a composite material and will crack if you over tighten them. Just make sure you clean the surfaces and the rubber gaskets real good first. The little bit of thread lock keeps the screws from vibrating loose again b/c mine had become so loose that I could turn them with my fingers. good luck

And just to simplifiy it further, thats what I call screwdriver tight. In other words, about at tight as you could get it using a screwdriver. As a general rule, consider the "Load" that any given fastener must take and then undertorque if slightly if it makes sense.. Don't overtorque anything on the SC. Lots of soft metals all over the place.

Back