Exhaust Upgrade Question On 90 Sc

wwotr

I'm wanting to upgrade my exhaust on my 90 SC.
I'm only working from the cat back.
So:
1) What diameter is the STOCK pipe and does it make much of a difference to go to 2 3/4" or 3"?

2)Are ther 2 mufflers that come on the SC or just one that SPLITS into 2?

3)Would it be better to get ONE Flowmaster that splits into 2 pipes OR is it possible (without any fabrication) to put 2 SEPERATE Flowmasters (one for each pipe)?

4)What mods have other members done to their exhaust and how much do other think this mod I want to do to mine; will cost?

Roger:confused:

Welcome aboard!

First, get a good view of the stock exhaust and a good aftermarket, check out http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/ in the 3.8 supercharged, then exhaust section.

or look at it here: http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/exsys.htm

2 cat's, to 1 resonator/single pipe all the way back to a Y pipe branching to 2 mufflers. I didn't measure the stock pipe, but the main thing is shown on that 2nd link there--the resonator. Check that out. It's the bottle neck that makes the difference.

To run dual's you'll have to swap the gas tank for a 92+ model year. Before that there is a different pathway that restricst how much room you have. Personally, I don't know what the point of duals really are in an engine this size. I'm not an expert by any means though. I wouldn't consider it TRUE duals if you have an X or H pipe. Might as well simplify the plumbing and run a single pipe, IMO with the supercoupe performance probably being the one to get--if it's in your budget. I'm talking about an SC with mild bolt ons though. Feel free to check some exhaust threads that have gone on in the non-tech section too.

Last edited:
ExhausT Mods on a 90 SC???

So are the links you sent me for the exhaust for a 1990 (or will it fit a 1990)?

I live in California so is my exhaust guy gonna kick me out of his shop when I suggest this set up?

Roger

I think the pictures are of a system for 92+, but they list a system for 89-91 also. The shop will most likely have a book with diagrams for each car/yr model that he can reference for the correct shape, or they can put it up on the lift. You've got to keep the catalytic converter's on there, but the rest shouldn't affect your requirements. But then, what do I know? I'm in MS where we don't have any emissions checks. :D Your guy will tell you if there's a problem.

Back