2 questions

BlckbirdSC

Ok, so I'm doing a lot of work on my 91 SC right now, mainly new HG's and a new slave cylinder for the clutch.

Just needed to know a few things before I started putting everything back together. One: I have a 5spd tranny which I drained when I pulled. What do you guys recommend that I fill it with when I put it back in?

Two: when I pulled apart my supercharger and the tubing to get at the heads, I noticed that I've got oil coating the supercharger tubes, as well as a few very small puddles of it in the tubes. Any idea what this maybe, and how I go about fixing it? Thanks in advance.

The oil in the tubes is completely normal. It collects there over time from the blow by. A bit of oil is ok

The pcv valve, which sends some crankcase fumes back to the intake to be reburned is what causes the oil in the sc/tubes. Oil mist gets sucked into it. If it's something you want to reduce, you can install a filter in the lne frome the valve to the intake tbe but it is normal.

The M5R2 takes ATF. Total of 4 quarts (4 oz of this needs to be a friction modifier). I'm probably going to end up using either B&M or Redline Synthetic ATF in mine when it goes back in.

Just a thought if your budget and time allow, and you have a lot of miles on the car. I would go ahead and overhaul the engine. I have been buying SCs lately and many have just had new HG put on and bang there goes the bottom. So they sell them. Don't want to scare but I am going back to my old ways when I tear into them. If I open an engine and it has miles, it gets everything.

Thanks for the info on the oil in the tubes, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I was hoping that my supercharger wasn't dying.

About the engine, its already been overhauled, that's part of the problem. I had it rebuilt because it had a bad wrist pin (Nasty, nasty noise when that goes bad), and 7000 miles after the rebuild, its already got a blown HG. The company that built my motor obviously messed up, but they're being good about it. They're giving me new upper-engine gasket kit, head bolts, and inspecting the heads to make sure they're not warped or cracked.

Thanks for the help as always.

You should look in your manual or call a local Ford dealer for the correct lube for the tranny. Most manual trannies I have serviced took 80-90w gear oil, but suprizingly some took ATF(automatic transmission fluid). Since you only do this once every 60k miles, buy the good stuff.

Straight from the 1991 Ford Service manual, ATF Dexron II or equivalant. 3 3/4 quarts ATF 1/4 Quart (4oz) Friction Modifier.

Back