If T-40 torx is front, what is rear???

FearThis SC

I know its bigger than a T-40 torx which is used to remove the brake caliper assembly......so what size is the rear?

Thanks,
Calvin

I believe the rear brakes on my SC's are like 13, 15, or 17 mm bolts. Its been about a month since I've changed the rear brake calipers.

Thanks, but the Torx that I was referring to was a T-55 for removal of the anchor plate to remove the rotor. To make a long story short, I could not get the T-55 torx bolt out of the anchor plate.

Is there any special tool to remove a bolt that has the threads that are almost stripped inside the T-55 bolt??? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Calvin

Are you talking about the braket that the caliper sits in?

if so, have you gotten the lower (easier to get to) bolt out?

if you have that bolt out, just start pounding the braket or anchor or whatever it is, with a rubber mallet and get it moving around.
then you'll be able to start geting that other bolt out once its good and loose.

AaronPierre said:
Are you talking about the braket that the caliper sits in?

Yes, the caliper sit into the anchor plate, but is attached with two T-55 torx heads, I started to remove the bottom one but the torx head is kinda screwed i.e. stripped somewhat, and couldn't get it to budge. I believe they are seized in place, I might try heat, I have already tried what Jeff suggested with WD-40, etc, etc. So once I couldn't get the first one out, I just stopped because I ran out of daylight and the gnats were terrible.....

Calvin

I'm confused. My rear brakes were bolts, not torx.

If you are talking about the slide pins... Oh boy. That sucks. I had to replace my entire caliper bracket assembly. I was still able to source it from Ford 2 years ago.

Maybe these pictures will help you describe what you are struggling with:

calipertogetherclose.jpg

caliperbracket.jpg

yup that is exactly what i was talking about.... some t-birds are just bolts the others are a bolt with the torx (star key thing) inside as well... i had to buy the torx for my 91 SC the size i used was a T-55. i rounded one of the bolt ends so i had to get the torx.

Try to get one of the bolts off like i suggested above... one of mine was seized and i couldn't get it off any other way i tried.
but once i took the hammer to it, it was a piece of cake.

a hammer tends to solve most of my SC problems now that i think about it.

by the way, i'll tell you my brake story at the meet in Houston..

-Aaron Pierre

I think it depends on the way things go.

That lower slide pin in my rear brakes was siezed real good. I used a Mapp gas torch. A 3lb sledge, a 6 foot breaker bar and even tried to drill it out. A very helpful Ford service shop took a look at it and said they could try their hydraulic press, but that the bore of the bracket would probably be ruined. They found me just the brackets so for like $18 each, I just bought new brackets and some hardware kits with the new slide bolts and rubber boots.

Back