Coolant leak?? Help!!

Mike Combs

I have a leak that is near the heater core, but I can’t see where it originates. I don’t want to remove the dash unless I’m sure the heater core is the problem.

I rigged a crude pressure test by sealing one opening and blowing into the other. I seamed to seal, but it may have a slow leak. I use the defroster every day and haven’t seen any fog on the inside of the windshield that would indicate a coolant leak in the core.

Could it be coolant leaking from the back of the manifold or maybe even the head gasket? The car leaks just enough to empty the overflow tank every 400 miles. The leak is not visible and I don’t think that it is any of the heater hoses.

Any help is greatly appriciated!

im not an expert by any means but i will tell you that my 90 HG went and i found out becuase coolant was coming out of the rear of the engine. try shoving your hand down there and feel along the heads to see if any coolant is there

If it's not any of those things there are hoses that run in that area that feed the oil cooler on the oil pump.

Jeff

What??
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that coolant(antifreeze) flows through the transmission oil cooler lines??

Those lines are used to pump hot transmission fluid to the radiator where it is cooled and then returned to the tranny.

Let me know what you meant.

No, there are water lines that run to the oil filter adapter to cool engine oil. Trans lines run into a heat exchanger in the bottom section of the Rad.

Jeff

No I believe he is talking about the coolant lines that run around the rear of the engine. I can't remember where the hell they all go since they make up their own little maze, but I believe they run into the oil cooler as Jeff stated. Anyways, are you sure it is antifreeze and not just water?

edit:
Damn you beat me to the post Jeff :)

Last edited:
Back