seatbelt lights always ON

smokymance

well...i have had this problem since i bought my 93 high flying bird....it never had a problem with the seatbelts...and i have tried wearing the lapblets....that annoying RED seatbelt light never shuts off....what do i do....thanks

Seatbelt Light

Hey smokymance. The rails for the seatbelts have one sensor at each corner. You might have a dirty sensor, or maybe the seatbelt is not making contact with the sensor.. The sensors are on the A pillar and the B pillar. Most likely the sensor you need to check are the B pillar sensors. I would recommend checking both driver and passanger rails.

seatbelt sensors

thanks...now one more stupid question....a pilar is the one coming from the windshield bottom up....and b pilar is the one that comes from the upper part of the door handle up....well brief explanation....now that i need to check the sensors...how do i do that... and what do they look like so i can see them if i open the panels out. thanks.

If the seat belts are working, I doubt the sensors are the problem. The two things that can set off the light are the controller itself if something were wrong and the shoulder belts, If they both aren't buckled the light will come on (it actually senses how far the belt is retracted not if it's buckled but thats the easiest way to explain it)

But if they are buckled it never hurts to check the sensors. They are little back boxes with 2 wires coming out at either end of the track. To access them you will have to pull the rear panels and the trim above the door. Once you have all the screws out (make sure to get the one hidden in the back wind shield behind the seatbelt covers) there are clips below the panel to access the thumbdrive for the motor (little square panle that pops out) that must be pryed off then the rest of it pops off (if you have lights in the rear panels unplug them). It's kind of a pain but there are no shortcuts so...

Oh yeah I forgot, to check the sensors, use a mulitmeter set on resistance. You should get a high number with the button pushed in and a low one with it out.

or you could always do what i did, take the light out from the dash.

Mine was really pissing me off. 'Cause i like to keep my dash real dark.

That seems odd that it works off the distance the belt is pulled out. And also i thought i remembered the light going off after i would buckle the lap belt. OHh well, i barely remember anyway.

jim

Yeah I always thought it was strange too. I read it in the Service manual though. If it's less than 18" out the light goes on. I've tried it and sure enough if I pull the passenger side out about 2' it goes off and back on when I let go. As far as the lap belts, I've never read nor seen anything that has to do with them and the Passive Restraint system.

Back