replaced head gaskets, now what is wrong?

94 crimson SC

I just replaced my head gaskets and did everything by the Ford service manual. Now the car runs like the timing is off. At first I thought I had a bad spark plug and I replaced them all. The car runs a little better but it idles roughly and like I said seems like the timing is off. I dont see how the timing could be off since I didnt touch the crank position sensor at all. Could improperly sealed IC tubes cause that? I connected a vacuum gauge to see if I still had a leak somewhere, but the vacuum holds steady at 18 inches. Am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Double check all of your plug wires to make sure they are fully seated as well as hooked up in the proper place (I believe the Helms manual has a misprint as to the hook up on the coil pack). I would also check very carefully for a vaccum leak as well as all IC tube connections.

Rough idle, timing

I would double check you cam pos sensor to make sure it is timed properly. Your injectors cannot fire at the right time if it is too far off. Check your Ford manual.

I must have misread your post the first time through Crimson. When changing the head gaskets did you remove the cam position sensor shaft from the block? You said that you didn't disturb the crank position sensor, but the cam position sensor (as stated by TransDoc) out of position could cause the symptoms that you are having.

HG replacement

Yes do what these guys say on sensor.

Note:
My 95 company car was done under the Ford warranty just under 100k. I took it back numerous times till they got an old man to finally figure out it was a vacume hose cracked, but they never told me which one.

I later had terrible vibration when the tubes started to leak.

I also found a plug wire off of a plug one day. Strange.

Doug

Thanks for all the help guys. I fixed the problem. I used the Haynes manual for the spark plug wiring diagram and it is wrong. I used the Ford Manual and found that I had 2 of the wires reversed. The car runs great now and is smoother than it has ever been. Thanks again.:D

Back