Want a second opinion on this problem..codes & details inside

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Problem: Car idled rough and shut down after warm up. It re-started and still idled rough and ran like crap ..sort of like the 5 out of 6 cylinders were working. Problem surfaced out of the nothing, from one day to anotehr.

Condition: oil change no more than 100 miles ago, complete tune up about 500 miles ago (double platinums all the way, motorcraft wires, fuel filter, pcv, air filter, belts, diff. fluid flush), car has aprox. 219k miles on stock hg's.

What i've done so far: I tried checkign the basics to fix rough idle . I checked all wires and they're fully fastened, cam sensor is secure and not that old, same with the crank sensor they were both replaced new when they went bad they also look ok visually, no tears or damage. I dont know a way of checking the coil pack and DIS modules unless i try using a new one to make sure mine are working..so i havent done that, again, visually they look ok, no damage. Checked the codes and i got a KOEF #24 for Air temperature sensor imput out of (self-test) range

I've been browsing the posts about teh ACT sensor but im still not clear if this is the way i should go...Like i said, it seems very unlikely that one of the 'typical' things is faulty or malfunctioning since i've replaced them before, so i want to verify that the ACT should be next to replace....also, any one have a price for the ACT and is it a part i could get at the local autozone? thanx

ACT sensor

The ACT out of range will cause driveability problems from rough idle to rich black smoke out of the tailpipe all the time. you can check the sensor with a multimeter before you replace it, but I don't have exact voltage specs handy. it may be a wiring issue though, the ACT circuit. The sensor is cheap though, around 10 to 15$, and you can get it at your local Autozone. Throwing one at it could save you some time.

Back