transmission lines

madfordz

Guys, I have recently had to replace the trans lines on my 90 AOD SC. The former lines were apparently bad and had been fixed by adding some high pressure rubber line attached with hose clamps. Recently, it sees that the clamps worked themselves free on both. One of the rubber sections worked itself free and fell off (somewhere on the road) and the other had worked it's way loose and was about to fall off when I noticed it. I bought some 5/16 brake line and put the connectors form the bad lines on and basically replaced the crap that was on the car.

The problem I have now is that the car is running warmer than it had been running previously. I hate to think it is because of the tranny fluid running through the cooler properly, but I can't tell. So, 2 questions:

1) How should the transmission lines hook up? I have the line from the bottom of the tranny hooked to the far right side of the transmission. The top is hooked to the left most connector on the transmission. Is this correct?

2) Is it possible that the cooler lines being hooked up in reverse order could cause the car to run hot?

Thanks in advance...madfordz

Trans lines hooked to the cooler reversed won't cause any ill effects at all. I would start looking elsewhere.

tranny lines

Well, thanks for your responses guys. Let me start by making some corrections to the original post. What I meant to say was that the line from the bottom of the tranny is hooked to the far right of the RADIATOR and the line from the top of the tranny is hooked to the leftmost connector on the RADIATOR. I just re-read my post and thought, "Damn, I'm an idiot."

Anyway, the car seems to have stabilized from the temp perspective and is running pretty much in the range that it previously ran - between the "o and the r", occasionally straying to the "m". I am hoping that it isn't running cooler because it is so darn cold and snowy here, but I guess only time will tell.

Thanks all the same for pointing out that the hookup of the lines doesn't matter, cause that is something that I did not previously know.

I would get the biggest 24,000gvw B&M style tans cooler and block off those holes in the bottom of the rad. That way you'll get better cooling for both. The one I got had all of the attachments and I didn't need to do any drilling and it sits right in front of my rad. Good luck

Thanks vancouverBC...I have one of those on an 88 Mustang that I occasionally race. It has a 1970 model built 429 w/C6 trans in it and the B&M cooler works well with it. IF I keep the SC and don't buy this 95 Mark VIII LSC that I recently ran across, I may do that B&M deal on the SC. Reading all of these posts about 12 and 13 second daily drivers is about to make me sell that rauchous Mustang and plow the money back into the SC. This is getting too addictive!!!

Again, thanks for the post. I probably should have thought of that while I was trying to fish those lines through the hinterlands back to the radiator. It was a bear keeping them bent properly and running them back to the original positions, but at least there were no leaks when I was done!! L8r...

Back