95 m5r2 in 90 aod sc?

JustinH

A couple questions.

My brother is checking out a sc that looks pretty good, but has a bad aod. I think its a 90 or a 91, not sure.

Well, him and I got to talking about putting a stick in it, and ditching the aod. The m5r2 would cost alot less than a aod, and would increase the fun factor by quite a bit.

Anyway, we called a couple places looking for m5r2's, and I have a couple questions.

1.) Is the m5r2 the only manual trans that can bolt into a 90-91 sc?

2.) I know the 94+ m5r2 had different gear ratios, so could you put a 94+ m5r2 in a 90-91 sc with no troubles?

3.) Is there an official FAQ or tech article regarding the aod to m5r2 swap?

Thanks,
Justin

The M5R2 was the only stock 5spd offered, but with some modification a T-5 or T56 will work.

You will not have any problem putting in a 94/95 M5R2 in, but I think you might like the gear ratio in the older cars. If the rear is still stock, you will have a big improvement over us stock 5spd owners. I know my 94 can be a pain sometimes to try go get going.

There should be an article about doing the swap, as there have been several members that done it. Hopefully someone will post this info for you.

Good luck and fee free to ask away if you get stuck.

So, the pre 95 has the more desireable gear ratios? The reason I was looking at 94-95's was because many of them have super low miles on them, and aren't beat up like the old ones are.

Justin

the 94 - 95 are going to be hard to find they only made about 700 +/- 94 and 500 +/- 95 so finding a used one is going to be hard. The older modles ford made like 8,000 5spd car is 90 or 91 (something like that)

Let me know how it turns out. I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 92

tim

The gear ratio difference is all a matter of opinion in my mind. Somtimes I love the quick acceleration of the earlier M5r2 and sometimes I love the easier low speed drivability of the late model trans. I wouldn't assume that an M5R2 would be less trouble than a properly prepared AOD though. Like SCMe said, you can swap in another type of manual trans too. But, that will add to the cost of the swap itself. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. This isn't really a pull it in Friday night and drive it to work Monday morning type of swap you are considering.

The 94-95 M5R2 has higher (lower numerically) gears, but it will still be a nice improvement over the AOD, the gears are still lower than the AOD and with the stock rear, you'll probably like it much more (3.27 vs 2.73). To do the swap you will need:

Clutch/Hydralics (Master/Slave Cyl, Clutch line, flywheel, disk, pressure plate)
Clutch Pedal Assy
Driveshaft
Top Console plate
Shifter
5spd Brake pedal (optional)

The only challenge is mounting the master cylinder/pedal assy, there are dimples where the holes should have been so you will have to drill them out. The rest is pretty simple, just swap in the flywheel/clutch, driveshaft and trans, and then the interior peices.

you also need to do something abuot the wiring harness, as we have electronic speedos, the reverse lights won't work, and you won't have cruise...just little stuff, but the swap wasn't too hard, it took me about 1-1/2 days, not solid working, its not much worse than just a clutch change really...lemme know if you want more details, mine was done on a 95, but it can't be much different on an earlier model. cato421@hotmail.com

Back