Exhaust Question

Billabong089

I have a dual setup, no h-pipe or x-pipe and it came like that when I got the car, its got flowmasters and just a true duel with two cats... Now it sounds good on idle but it doesn't do much for me when driving, it sounds rackety, not quite ricey but nothing great either...

Do you think an hpipe or xpipe would improve the sound? What do you think i should do? Thanks :)

I'm assuming you're running 13" or 14" long mufflers, with no resonator. Your system probably drones really bad at or above 2000 RPM.

From what I've learned so far, if you're going to run the smaller mufflers, then you need to run a resonator, or a pair of resonators if you still want a true dual setup. Even with true duals, it helps to run an H or X pipe to aid in exhaust gas scavenging, which in turn helps with exhaust gas velocity in your system.

If on the other hand you decide you want to run without resonators, then you need to run bigger, more cavernous mufflers, and also an X-pipe located downstream from the cats.

...That's my opinion.

Best regards,

Sean

what kind of mufflers do you recommend?

the exhaust is just annoying on my car and Its bothering me, it should sound good lol... but anyway... What are resonators? and what do they even look like? So anyway do you know anywhere I could buy them? I dont really want to get my whole exhaust redone, I just want to make it sound better.

Last edited:
Well, I'm running a true-dual setup too. I've got stainless mandrel bent 2.5" downtubes running into a pair of high-flow 2.5" stainless cats. Then, the tubes run into a stainless 2.5" X-pipe, and then back under the diff to a pair of huge Borla 40665 stainless steel mufflers.

I might be a bit biased, but I think it's one of the best sounding systems I've heard yet on these cars.

The Borla 40665's are pricey, but they're 19" long by 9.5" wide by only 4" tall. There's a lot of volume in these mufflers to quieten things down, but they're still a straight through design for maximum flow.

If you decide to add a resonator, you have two choices. First, you can use a huge two-in two-out truck muffler and situate it aft of the cats, but before the fuel tank. This also serves as a X-pipe. Or, you could instead use a pair of long cylindrical mufflers, and situate one in each tube again aft of the cats and before the fuel tank. If you choose the latter setup, I suggest you also have a pipe welded in to tie the two sides together somewhere after the resonators and before the fuel tank.

I hope this helps.

Here's a link to my SCCoA Member's Page, in case you want more information about what I've done with my car.

http://www.sccoa.com/member/index.php?uniquename=matteson

Best regards,

Sean

Mr. Bong
What Sean is saying is that basically a resonator is nothing more than a muffler,maybe pull some of the harsh tones and droning out of your exhaust b-4 it gets to your other muffs, magnaflow is a popular choice for that but it's all in your ear! My exhaust is 2.50 y'ing out after the resonator into flowmaster 40's It's a mellow deep tone ,but not what you want if you want to sound like a hot rod.I would have to agree with Sean ,the Borla is a nice Muff , If you can spend the $$$$
Just my .02

dammn... $208 for those mufflers, hmm what is a good model number for the resonators? And if I do add them, is an xpipe nessaccary?

I'd try shopping around a bit more for those mufflers. I paid $270 CDN per muffler, so after the exchange rate is applied, that should put you around $176 USD. Usually, you guys do even better than a straight currency exchange, especially since most of this stuff (including these mufflers) are manufactured in the US. Those mufflers are listed at $164.99 USD/ea right on the Borla site.

Magnaflow is a good alternative.

Cheers,

Sean

$165 isn't that bad, maybe I'll pick up two, should I add an x-pipe or just leave as is? I mean if its not going to affect that much I'll save the money ;)

Alright thanks guys.

// Also could someone post the model number for the magnaflow resonators.. thanks :)

Last edited:
I would just ask for a price on the
Magnaflow stainless steel 2.5" X-pipe installed, and then decide if you can afford it or not. I really don't think it will hurt you at all, but it should be of benefit both in terms of noise control and also performance.

Cheers,

Sean

I think im probably goin to go with the cheaper way and just get the resonators, but still Im not sure, should I go an extra 200 or just save it... Also I know you said magnaflow but do you know what model number? Thanks :)

Back