Air Conditioner removal

drakestarr

I recently bought an 89 SC with air conditioning that has not worked for years. I want to remove the entire system to shed the dead weight. Where can I find a belt that is short enough for the car once the compressor is gone?

Actually, the way I've looked at it, I don't see how you can run it without the compressor, due to the tensioner being next to the compressor. These cars came standard with A/C and it looks like ford didn't plan to remove it.

THESE ARE PART NUMBER THAT I GOT FROM EARLIER THREADS I HAVE READ.
I HAVE NOT DONE THIS OR CHECKED IT OUT.BUT HERE ARE THE PART NUMBERS.

IDLER PULLEY TO REPLACE AIR-CON COMPRESSOR #19A216 FORD

AC DELETE PULLEY FORD p/n E7TZ:8678-D FORD AND MOTORCRAFT p/n YS-159

how much would it cost to take out the AC and put on the new parts i need for the minus pully that was on the AC ?

im replacing the heater core and there asking if AC or NO AC
i think the no AC one was cheaper but if i take off my empty AC and get rid of it will i need to heater core with No AC?

I can't believe that there is much discernable difference in heater cores between a non A/C car and an A/C car. Just get the one that is correct for your stock application. You don't have to have a heater core, but you'll miss out on the luxury of heat. You can plumb the two lines that go to the heater core together to bypass it.

There's a few ways to do it. Do a search for "AC delete" and you'll see what you need to do. I just rerouted the serpentine belt with a shorter 55" belt over the alternator tensioner instead of under it.

Spider said:
how much would it cost to take out the AC and put on the new parts i need for the minus pully that was on the AC ?

im replacing the heater core and there asking if AC or NO AC
i think the no AC one was cheaper but if i take off my empty AC and get rid of it will i need to heater core with No AC?

No... you need the heater core for "WITH AC" if your car came with it. Think about it for a moment. By YOU taking the AC off, the heater core does not magically change. Go by what the car came with; the heater core set up is still like it was from the factory.

Another thing you may not know; when in the "Defrost" mode, the AC unit kicks on to de-humidify the air, which clears the windows much more rapidly. Even if you don't live in an area that has hot summers you'll miss the defrost function of the AC.

Just because it doesn't work, why remove it? Why not fix it and get it working; you can retrofit to R134a refrigerant and not have to worry about R12 anymore at the same time.

Well, whether you NEED AC or not is a matter of opinion. You also have to think of the resale value if you decide to sell it. Mine is disconnected so that if I ever wanted that cluttered mess back in my engine bay I could replace it all. If you work on your own car you'll be glad it's gone. Yes, you can actually see your sparkplugs! Also think of the airflow that condenser is blocking. Sure you can buy a smaller one and get the whole system retrofitted and charged but it's gonna be expensive. More than it's worth to me. But, in today's spoiled world noone will want to buy it without AC.

I deleted my air and the car picked up almost 1/2 second. Shorter belt and change around the tensoner by the alternator.:D

Back