Question about putting in a head unit

TbSCbos13

I wanted to see if anyone has any experence in putting in an aftermarket head unit ( cd player) and removing the stock tape player/radio. Because I was looking on how to take it out and i found out i need a special tool or something to take it out and i wanted to see if there was any other way to do it short of buying the tool or going to best buy and gettting it installed. Any help would be great help so leave me a post if you know. Thanks
Bill

All they are are two metal U's that go in the two holes on each side to disengage the clips holding the unit in. They should be like 5$ at your local parts store. There isn't really any other way to do it.

I just went to my local Ford Dealership and asked to borrow theirs. Popped the old deck loose.

Question about the these clips on the radio:
Are they just one clip on each side? When I did the DIN cupholder in the dash and had to pull it out, it had these clips. *If* it is the same, I used a small thin flathead screwdriver on each side. If you have 2, that might also work. Stronger than the coat hanger wire.

Just buy the tool. You can use it on almost any late model Ford. This will keep you from accidentally damaging your dash or stock deck.
Remember, coat hangers work on most aftermarket deck removals, but on the fords you have to pull the tools inward to release the clips. Coat hangers aren't nearly strong enough.

I had best buy install mine, and it cost me $100 including a reverse wire harness to hook up the cut wires that the previous owner cut and for the JBL premium audio that no longer existed...

Anyway if you can install it, go for it, because best buy wants $52 ( at my location ) just for installiton, anything slighty extra is $15/per 1/4hr...

Those tools are cheap anyway, I've seen them in the stores... buy them and save $50

Headunit

I changed my headunit quite a few times, it is the easies thing ever, just make sure u get the rite wiring harness, and make sure that if u need a constant 12v that u hook it up lighter fuse (i have a kenwood flip mask), if u have any further questions with details feel free to email me, xracer9x@hotmail.com
I love car stereos, work with them all day long

Good luck
Mike

Thanks guys I tried the coat hanger idea and it came out with a little coaxing I tried to plug the harneses togethor from the car to the new head unit and equlizer that i had to get (pain in the rean to wire up though) and i had some trouble with pluging the small square harness in. I wasnt able to connect it. The other harness the long rectangular fit great and I turned accessory on and I got a buzzing sound and my auto dimmer light for the switch came on. I was going to try it again tommorrow but now my car is at the movie theater by my house because i couldn't get it to start tonight after the show( i'm having a great week!:mad: ) so i have to wait till friday or saturday to put the darn thing in. I did want to ask though was that when i went to best buy and got the wiring harness i was told i had to buy an equlizer the is about the size of a tv remote and has to have the speaker wires and powers run through it so i dont burn out my speakers. I wired it up and had a couple wires left over for the speakers. I had for each speaker 1 wire left over i think it was the + ground or something i dont know but i wanted to see if i had to wire those in as well. Ok thanks again, lets just hope i get the car back before monday or i'll be waiting till early- mid june to finish this stuff.

Back