Ok guys i really need your help PLEASE

thunderbird89sc

Ok so here it is, I was driving today and i heard a pop and a clunk, then it sounded like i was draging something around drivers side rear wheel so i stopped and looked nothing,,,, I thought that was weird, and i drove and my friend held the streering wheel and i looked out the window at the back tire going like 30 mph and didnt see any shacking, so i took her home and then went home and looked at the wheel and i was like 2 feet away and felt the heat from the back wheel, the rim was so hot i couldnt touch it, so i waited then took it off, i could move it side to side, so i am thinking wheel barring, Which i can't afford to get a new one. So i was wondering if i could get one from the bone yard, If not it looks like i'll have to sell her, which i dont want to do, any other ideas of what it could be? and if anyone has a hub and barring they can part with for less then the cost of the new one that would be great, so until then i have to walk everywhere since she is my only car, The sad think is she just passed 219,000 miles... any help would be great,

Thanks you guys are great,

Matt

i saw

i saw a lot of brake dust and the e brake cable was stuck so i got it lose and oiled it thinking that was it, the rotor looked good,a and everything looked ok, i am not too sure what i am looking for, the hub and rotor were still to hot to touch, if anyone could tell me what it si i am looking for that would help, when i drove her, and took a cornor it sounded and felt like the wheel was lose, if that help any, i was also check and see if i can move the hub and roter up and down and side to side,, mean while i am going to do a search and talk to my uncle who works on cars, thanks for your help guys,

Matt

, im going to call Ford in a little while, I would like to know from you guys if i have to replace the hub along with the wheel bearing, I hope not the bearring it self is like 40 bucks from auto zone, and the hub and bearing is like 180.00 so i am hoping i don't have to replace the hub, if it comes down to it i guess until i can work something out i will have to get one from a bone yard,

Matt

Umm, if you get a rear hub from the junk yard, you must get one from an 89-97 TBird with abs and disc brakes. Meaning an 89-95 SC or a 96-97 LX sport. Hard to find. Do not drive the car, you can seriously damage the hub. I just had to replace my hub.

Hopefully the spindle isn't chewed up either. I got the whole rear assembly from a junk yard for $45 dollars. But it was for the right side, and I just needed the hub for my left side. So I had the hub pressed out and pressed into my new bearing and my new spindle.

The bearing was like $24.95 at Auto Zone, thats for the Timken SET 49. If your Auto Zone wants $49.95 for it, tell them to check the price at some of there other stores in a bigger city. I checked with some stores in the area and parts in 2 of our other stores match the same price which is much lower than 4 of our other stores. So why pay $50.00 for a $25.00 bearing?

If you can take it apart yourself, you'll need to take the spindle to a machine shop to get the new bearing pressed in. I had mine apart in 10 minutes. You loosen the lock nut in the center (36 mm), pull the wheel, remove the caliper and mounting bracket, remove the rotor, and then loosen the 3 18mm bolts and nuts that hold the spindle on, slide it out over your axle shaft. Take that and your new bearing to a machine shop.

The old hub should be tightly fit into the bearing. Mine was worn and the machine shop guy showed me it would just slide into the bearing, so I had to go buy another one, luckily a junk yard has a 97 sport I have picked for parts before including the hub and stuff from the other side of it.

Make sure you go to Ford and buy a new spindle lock nut, they are like $10.00 but can only be used once. When you reassemble it, put some loctite red on the lock nut and axle shaft. Then torque the bolt down good when the car is back on the ground. Its a good idea to get a 4 wheel alignment.

The reason a lot of rear wheel bearings fail is because the lock nut comes loose over time, and then the bearing gets chewed up from too much play in the hub. The loctite red will hold it tight. You can loosen it still, if you HAVE to take it apart again. I use a 2 ft. breaker bar.

Back