More info needed on Lincoln Mark VIII brakes on 89 SC, what all is required?

phils89sc

I know I need the spindles, hubs, and MarkVIII Rotors. Is there anything else? I have a local salvage yard that is going to sell me the spindles, hubs, and rotors from a 94 LX 4.6LV8, from which, if I understand correctly has the same spindles and hubs as the MarkVIII. I know the rotors are smaller, but for now they will work till I get the larger MarkVIII units. What do I use for calipers? Will my factory 89 SC calipers work on the new setup, or should I look into the Mark VIII calipers? When I was on the Advance Auto Parts site last night (I like to use them for cross referencing part #'s), they listed two types of front calipers for the Mark VIII. The first were "unloaded" with a metal piston. They looked like normal calipers to me, but the others were "loaded" calipers, and looked quite different. If someone can tell me what parts I need short of the hubs (i forgot about ABS too) and spindles, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help.

Phil Stocker

Just to add to that, if you get everything off the front of the 94 Bird, make sure it has ABS, as the spindles are different for with / without. You can use the 94 Bird calipers and rotors for now, but your 89 SC calipers have a different style of mounting, so they wil not bolt to the 93 - up spindles ... those ones need calipers with the separate mounting anchors.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back