Temp Gauge

hytorksc

Anyone know how to stop the temp gauge from wavering? it keeps bouncing back and forth as if it's not getting a good connection or something.

thanks-

Randy

It's probably "not getting a good connection..." - you may have answered your own question. The temp gauge sender is located right near the thermostat, and has a single wire connection. That wire can come loose - with the car running and warm, wiggle it and have somebody watch the gauge. If that doesn't change it, it's probably the sender itself. Cheap, maybe $15 to replace.

What Rob said.
Mine does that too, it's the wire. I haven't really fixed it yet, so it wavers or cuts out entirely sometimes when I floor it. Just the loose wire. Normally still okay so I haven't gone further with it yet.

same here. I took my wire off and hit the post with a wire brush. Then I took a small piece of sandpaper and worked it inside the plug. I also took the sensor out and cleand up the bottom of the sensor with the brush, just to be sure. So far so good.

Rich

Also double check the coolant levels b/c when low it doesn't always contact the sending unit, which will cause the signal to drop off. That single short wire is a joke, mine had corroded and became brittle with only a couple of wire threads holding it together. good luck

Back