"Refrigerator cord"

NorthrnSCownr

Do all of you also have a grey "refrigerator" looking cord hanging down near the front bumper?
<P> I first saw this thing and was like "Oh great, what did the dealer stiff me for now?" Then I thought.... "What the h*ll is this thing!?" *laughing <P> When I had the car inspected the guy let me under the lift with him, and I was like "Ok...<u>What is THIS</u>!?" He said" Your not from Maine are you?" I said "No?" "Thats an engine warmer..."he says, and I say "For real?" And he says"Yup"<p>
So I guess in all my travels, and the several vehicles I have owned I simply have not seen nor heard of suck a thing. What do all of you make of this unusual finding???

Obviously you've led a very sheltered life to this point. j/k I'm a southerner and I've heard of block heaters. They are all but required equipment in northern climes if you don't have a cozy garage to keep your vehicle in. They're primarily to warm the oil so it will flow a little at startup if I remember my polar bear friend's explanation from many year's ago.

I live in Minnesota, and they are EXTREMELY helpful when it gets way down in the negative degrees. It can be -20 outside with nasty windchill, and the engine will stay somewhat warm and start right up. Plus, since the coolent is already pre-heated it doesn't take long for the heating system to warm up.

The only thing I hate about block heaters is having the AC plug sticking out the front grill. It was like that on my Pontiac 6000 and my Grand Marquis. Looks very tacky...

Anyway, be glad your car has one. Even though most cars will still start in extreme cold weather they really help warm them up faster.

-Chris

I feel lucky now!! Especially because the past two days have been -25 f !!!! Thanks for the tips! I have the cord kind of wrapped iton the front bumper attachment system.

Back