sputter at WOT

ben m

man! i thought i fixed it and then this happens! i was just drivin around and the thing nearly died, really violent too. it was runnin on 4-cylinders! i got a code that said my #2 coil pack was malfunctioning. i replaced the coil-pack with a new one and NOTHING. i got the same code. without taking off the new coil pack, i replaced the DIS module. it ran! i was so happy on my way home i dropped it down a gear and punched it... it started bucking like a peed-off bronco! it will run fine once i getit started, but sometimes it will act like when you have a distributer 180deg. off. then i let off the key for awhile and it'll fire right up! then the only time it acts up is anytime i try to punch it! i can't get much more than 5lbs. of boost before it goes crazy. its a 5-speed and it'll do it in any gear. it doesn't matter what speed or RPM. just how close my foot is to the floor! the only part that really worries me is that i might be doing some sort of damage to the motor when it acts up because its pretty violent! it acts almost like when my harmonic balancer nearly walked off the crank, but it doesn't die. i replaced the new coil-pack for the old and no change. i have also put the heat-sink stuff under the DIS. replaced my plugs, checked my wires, didn't detect any vacuum leakes or hoses off. i have also replaced the cam sensor to no avail. could it be water in my tank? a worn out fuel pump? a short in the ignition? there is one wire on my DIS that the insulation is cracked, i did wrap it in electrical tape, though. i don't know, any help or ideas are always appreciated! thanks guys!

fuel pump?

did you say your fuel pump went out? can you give me any details as to how i could tell, how to replace it, etc... that would be great!

You need a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure, you put it on the shradder valve and run the car. But I've had this happen to my car a couple of times, 1st it was my clogged cat but I see you have high flows, 2nd time it was the air bypass behind the SC and all I did was spray it and the butterfly with WD40. I would also double check for intake air leaks with propane around every connection after the MAF. good luck

Propane

You use the same torch bottle but you don't light it and you don't smoke around it either. You start the car and let it idle, your car may need to be hot. Then you spray some propane gas around each of the intake, SC, spanner nut & IC connections. Whenever you notice a change in the idle rpms it means that there is a leak at that connection, so fix it and repeat the process. I've also used spray carb cleaner the same way. good luck

thanks a bunch guys! i'll try the vacuum test and the fuel pressure test and then go from there. thanks again!

Solution?!

I'm experiencing the same problems and would like to know what ended up fixing your issue. Were you getting a koeo code 214?

I'm experiencing the same problems and would like to know what ended up fixing your issue. Were you getting a koeo code 214?

I don't recall the code numbers but they read some kind of ignition issue. I have no idea what it ended up being because I threw a rod and half a piston out of the block and replaced the engine under warranty.

If I were you I would strip the engine down and make sure ALL ignition and related wiring were in good shape.

Back