cooling fan again...

stephens89sc

how does our cooling fan work, at what times does it come on ? only with heat ? does it come on with A/C or heater? when does the fan go on?

if u turned ur car on in the morning and u turned your heater or vent or a/c on will the fan come on ? mine doesnt.

when my car gets hot it comes on but it doesnt stay on, it turns on and shuts off, it only stays on for 1 min @ the most

is that working properly?

im worried about overheating the car, so i wanna make sure its workign properly.

when im @ my friends house and his dad leaves in his 95 sc the fan goes on almost right away? why doesnt mine?

Generally the fan is always activated by the A/C. Otherwise, its when the engine temperature reaches a set level that it turns on. It is controlled by the EEC. If it cold out, the fan will usually never turn on. Watch the temperature gauge.. Most of the time the needle will sit on the "o". Sometimes it will move up to the the "r" and "m". As long as it doesn't stay up there for a long time, then the car is cooling correctly.

Here's how it works........

:confused:

The fans come on for two reasons....

1) The engine temp calls for the fan to come on

2) The A/C is on or defroster is on, calling for fan (low speed).

The first one is easy. When the engine coolant hits 223-224 degrees, the fan comes on. I think that this is WAY TO HOT for any motor. Most cars today though are designed to operate at these temps.

The high speed fan comes on when the low speed fan cannot cool the coolant and the temp heats up to 228 degrees.

The fan will only drop the temp a few degrees and that is why you are only seeing the fan for about one minutes (sometimes less in cold weather).

The Low speed fan will come on with the A/C/ compressor to keep the engine from getting too hot due to increased load.

The only way to change this is....

1) Change parameters in ECM (Only with EEC tuner $350.00!!!)

2) Aftermarket sensor that turns fan on at a lower temp.

The second one is a sensor that goes either on the radiator or in the upper hose. This lets you set the temp that the fan comes on.

The reason that the 95 is coming on longer is that the 95 sc has a setting for the heater that when the selector is set at (PANEL/FLOOR) or (DEFROST/DEFROST/FLOOR) it automatically turns the fan on because the A/C compressor is being turned on also.

Next time your there, look at the A/C compressor and see that it is running a the same time and that the selector on the dash is set at one of these locations....

Hope this helps.......

Good luck and Happy S.C.'ing........

Don

NJTACC.COM (New Jersey Thunderbird and Cougar Club)

Wheres the low speed and high speed fan, I only see one fan in front of the engine, lol dont laugh at that, i know its newbish ;)

Go with a manual fan switch. Its fairly simple to do. Get a bunch of wire, 12 gauge or larger, a heavy duty switch, and a 30 amp in line fuse and hook it directly to the battery. Then u can turn it on or off at your leisure and keep your engine nice and cool!

stephen,
why don't yah ask these Q's on the local board?? :)

And the should Fan should come on whenever theres a call fo the A/C system to work.. (A/C norm, A/C MAx, Floor/DEF or Def)

and it's not really there to keep the engine COOLER from the added demand (Slightly false info there) it's to allow more airflow through the condensor not really the rad..

ALOT of people forget, or just becuase of climate locations, just don't know that the A/C system helps defrost your windshield..

So Tim mostly has the heater control on Floor/def or DEF (Defrost being the key here:) )

SO with that being said...

If you start up your car, and turn the heat to Deforst (any but just panel or floor) and your Engine cooling fan isn't running.. One of two things aren't working.. the fan system or the a/c system isn't working.. also if you got a code reader you can use it to tell if yah fan speeds are working or not.. (you can also do it with a piece of wire)

There is 1 fan motor with 2 speeds through 2 sets of windings. If you decide you want to manualy control the fan, you can also run a switch(s) to wire(s) on the IRCM. If you ground Pin #14 (Tan/Orange wire) it will run at the low speed. If you then ground Pin #17 (pink wire), it runs at high speed. Normally, the EEC controls the fan.

Back