90 or 91?? help

Mad-Max

Hey im new to this and i am looking to by a sc and im looking at aftermarkit parts and a lot of the things are difrent for the 89-90
and 91-93 how are thes to difrent can some one help me i dont no if i should get a 90 or a 91 i no the 91 should be better because its newer but how are thay difrerent?
thanks
Max

90 or 91

There's not that much difference between the 89 to 93, just a few improvements. A lot more changes came in 94-95 but there aren't that many around because their sales were falling. Go for whichever is in the best shape. good luck

In my opionion...

I would go for a 92 or 93. 93 has the best ABS system as far as that goes. And 92-95 had the "better" designed exhaust systems. 91's they added some 70mm MAF's I think. But not to all of them. If I hadda do it again, 92 would be my choice. I personally don't like the "new' style rims on the older car. But its just matter of opinion.

89 - 90 also had the different hub hole size on the front rotors and wheel bearings ... the sealed hub and bearing for these is about $250 US vs. $100 or less for the 91-up style. Good news is that you can swap the 91-up bearings on the old spindles if you change to the newer rotors at the same time, then bend back the rotor dust shields slightly for clearance.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

If you're looking for that body style, I would go for 93. All the upgrades of the previous year (upgraded MAF, etc) no EGR to fool with and the upgraded barke system (no swapping spindles to upgrade barkes plus standard size master cylinder).

Options

myself I came down to options ..the upper glove box on 89/90 is what really sold me.. plus moon roof / black leather with split 60/40 back seat,, keyless entry ...cornering lamps ..power antenna ..cdplayer...alarm..due to the low production numbers after 1990 ..It's hard to find a fully optioned out SC

Yeah, pretty much boils down to finding one in the best shape, then it's good if you can chose the year you prefer. I still love '91's though:
-Tweed seats with the TBird stitched in, first year for that...seem to last age a little better than leather, without the upkeep
-No EGR to mess with
-The older rims look better (IMO only)
-Last year for the SC in the front bumper
-First year for the automatic temp control A/C (I love that, never had it before)
-70mm MAF, mine was built in 9/00, they may not all have this, as mentioned
-I like the dash over the later models, but then if I had the 94-95 I might feel otherwise? Shouldn't be a factor is the point, I guess.

The gas tank thing does suck if you want a custom setup, or duals but there's still the Supercoupe Performance exhaust, as well as the Flowmaster catback.
What really matters is getting one in good shape, the rest can be dealt with.
Enjoy!

Back