How much HP can a stock brass radiator handle???

Nick Sc

I'm in the prosses of moding my car, I know that the stockers for any year is not great but I don't want to shell out $700 for a griffen yet. I'm doing just about every bolt on that one can do, for now. Thanks Nick

Anyone, mybe someone will see this today. Thanks Nick Maybe I should have put How much HP can a stock brass radiator support???

I've never seen HP #'s for a radiator. But you can get a brass radiator recored with a tripple core for much less than a griffin to increas the cooling quite a bit. Also cool fan switch and 180 t-stat help some as well.
-John Machen

I've never seen HP#'s for radiator ether but I know as ones hp goes up there will be more heat to deal with (cool down) so I was wandaring how many mods a brass stocker can support before the cooling capacity is lost and the heat continues to rise?? Thanks Nick

brass radiator

I had local shop do a three core and eliminate the trans cooler for about 200. Tim

Nick,

I've got the stock brass radiator in mine still. I was having some problems during the summer with coolant temps reaching the "R" when running the AC. At the time I had about 350 hp at the crank.

Since then I've done a bunch more mods including a front mount IC from Magnum Powers. The kit I bought came with two low profile high speed fans, a 16" puller mounted in the normal place and a 14" pusher mounted on the AC condensor. When the 14" fan is turned off the temp increases about 15 or 20 degrees. Even with the extra hp, I'm thinking it will run much cooler with the dual fans this summer.

The 14" pusher fan would probably have cured my overheating concerns last summer and would help any early model SC run cooler.

David

How much HP can a stock brass raditor

Tazer, The stock cooler is a two inch bulb in the rad. Al it does is ? I am running a after market trans cooler. Dont need the one in the rad. Tim

Brass

I have read articles about this before and from what I have read said that there is very little difference in the cooling ability of the Al radiator over brass. I would stick with the brass, plus you can make it look just as nice. Strip the paint off and polish it, i did, it looks great. I will try to find the articles again. I would just get the brass radiator redone.

It has very little if anything to do with HP level unless you are going to run in NASCAR. It doesn't take any more HP to run your car down the road now than it did when it was stock. Think of How long you run your car at WOT without letting up. Is this long enough to cause the car to overheat? I think not.

What causes higher HP cars to run hotter is the higher gear ratios that we tend to run. Running your motor at higher RPM on the highway is the quickest way to heat it up. I have found that I have some difficulty with heat in the summer, but I also run about 3000rpm on the highway.

The heating problems that Dave has had are related more to the fact that he is running 3.73 gears and a high stall converter than anything else.

By the same token, I used to have problems with my XR7 running hot when it was bone stock just by running a lap on a road course in 90+ heat.

Hope that helps a little....

:)

Back