Died at the movies n e ideas?

TbSCbos13

Once again I am having a problem. I took my SC out tonight to see a flick with a friend and i came out and my car would not start. It wasnt showing any signs of trouble ( aside from my blower fan not working) and i just dont know what it could be. I know its not the battery because i had my voltage tester in the glove box and it gave me 12.34 volts, I know its not the fuel pump because i could hear it turn on ( the low humm when you switch n the ignition). When i turned the key it wouldnt do any thing at all except have all the lights on my dash come on and auto head lights go on. I wanted to see if maybe the clod weather we are having here in southeaster pa could be the reason? Or could it be that my blower fan that is not fuctioning killed something that makes the car start? Because I have had the defroster on with the fan non-fuctional to keep the windsheild clear. Or could it have been when i was putting my head unite in today and when i was trying to pluge the wire harnesses in i turned on accessory to see if the unite turned on ad i keept getting a buzz from the dash and the light for my headlight dimme would go on? But either way i would turn the key and get nothing at all from the engine like it was dead. Any ideas would be a help. Thanks.

jumper the starter relay( that round thing with the battery cables to it on the drivers fender, jumper the two large terminals to each other)using battery jumper cables, if still nothing probably the starter if the battery is good. Tap the starter with a hammer lightly.
If the headlights are bright and the wipers work at normal speed the battery is probably fine.

Last edited:
Clean the battery posts and clamps with steel wool and tighten securely (Not OVER tight, just an extra turn or 2 after they can no longer be twisted by hand) just to be sure.

Oh, and 12.3V doesn't necessarily mean the battery is good. It means its charged up somewhat. You can have 12V and still be almost completey discharged. A better check is to use a bulb type electrolyte tester which you can get from any car parts store.

also, is your car an automatic? if so take it out of gear and try starting it in neutrol.... if that doesnt work move the gear selector from drive to park a few times and put it back into park again and try to start it, it could be your neutrol safety switch

you mention your fan doesnt come on? this most likely points to a battery that is not fully charged (i know when my battery gets a little low cause of the cold, the alarm stops working sometimes)

Thanks for the replies but i decided after recieving 4 tickets for parking illegally ( thanks mall security) to just get it towed. But to answer your question my lights both inside and out came on bright as day. I kinda figured i could count out the battery, so i looked at the starter i tried knocking it a few times (ever so lightly) with a tire arm because i was without a hammer with no success. I am gonna just let my the mechanics at my brothers gas station deal with it until i can take it to my base. I did want to ask to see if you guys think it could be one of the sensors? I had the cam sensor go on my old 89 last year but i could still crank the engine. Oh well let me know what you all think. Thanks again for all your help.
Bill

most sensors will still crank the engine

you say the cam sensor will, ok

i know for a fact that the crank sensor will still allow the car to crank, it just wont fire.

im thinking its either
A. your battery is too low
B. something with the starter
C. Neutrol safety switch in the trans

Back