SCCoO Contacts List???

SeanMatteson

All,

Often I'm contacted by people looking for phone numbers, email addresses, etc. of other SCCoO members. Now, I certainly don't mind this, but it's sort of made me wonder if we shouldn't have a SCCoO contacts list. I respect that some people treasure their privacy, and I'm suggesting that inclusion on such a list would be purely voluntary. Is there some way we could host the list and have it password protected so that only participating members would have access? Perhaps some of you more net-savy members could suggest ways in which this could be accomplished. 'ftp' maybe? Obviously, someone would have to maintain the list, updating the information and adding new entries periodically. If this makes or breaks the decision to implement something like this, then I'll volunteer right now.

What do you guys think?

Best regards,

Sean

An easier way might be to have people who wish to have their contact info made available, submit it to me, and then I can provide Les and Bill with copies. So then if anyone is looking to contact another member, they should be able to get in touch with one of the three of us, and get the info. if the person being sought has made their phone # available to us.

cheers
Ed N.

Fine with me.

Something to consider that would be ideal with Ed's idea, is that making people's info public on the site would mean EVERYONE can see it. Whereas if people ask us specfically, we can make contact with those who ask for the information.

I'm pretty sure there are ways that we could 'hide' a contact list so that only people with a valid login and password could access the list. It seems reasonable that access would be restricted to those willing to publish their contact info on the list.

Have any of you used 'ftp'? Jim Gravelle might have some ideas as to how we could make this happen. Unfortunately, we may be talking about functionality that requires we have a separate server for the SCCoO website, and I doubt we want to go there just yet.

Cheers,

Sean

We could use Ed's method in the meantime. Every day they are posts that say "attn: bob" etc, which pushes down more important posts etc. Either way, people should be using PMs, but I'm guilty of that also.

I don't think the idea of the SCCoO having its own server in the future is unreasonable, but it would be up to Ed allow the idea to come to life.

Well, I think Ed's got a good idea, and it certainly sounds like something that would be quicker and easier to implement on the short-term than what I've alluded to. Perhaps I could help to get the ball rolling...

If you wish to be included on such a contacts list, and assuming you are comfortable with me having your contact information, please email me the following information using the link in my signature:

First Name:
Last Name:
Mailing Address:
Home Phone Number:
Work Phone Number:
Mobile Phone Number:
Pager Number:
Email address:
SCCoA forums screen name:

...Have I missed anything???

Of course, not all of the above information is mandatory, so just submit what you're comfortable with everyone knowing. Please don't send in your information if you are in any way uncomfortable with everyone having access to the information.

Once we've made a firm decision as to whether this list will be made available through contacting members of the SCCoO executive, or by posting it in a secure area on the internet, or whatever, I will turn over the information that I've acquired to Ed.

Best regards,

Sean

Last edited:
Thank-you, Ron (MY90SC) for starting things off for us. I received your email, and have started the list with your name.

Who's next???

Best regards,

Sean

contact list

I would think that if u submit your name for the list then u should get the list of all of the others that have submitted.It could be sent out as updated and sent by PM or email.This is how i feel it should be done,it would cut out a unnecessary step in getting in contact with someone.

Steve,

I received your PM, and will add you to the list. As soon as the list grows a bit, I'll forward a copy out to all those who submitted their info. Then, everytime the list grows by five or ten names, I'll forward out a new copy to everyone on the list again.

This will have to do until we can get something more formal in place.

Where's everyone else???

Best regards,

Sean

Jason,

I got your message, and you're on the list.

Bill et al,

Regardless of whether I've already got your contact info. from before this list was started, I need you to send it to me again to confirm that you want it published on the list.

Also, I'm trying to stick with a standard format for the list, so please don't deviate from the different pieces of information requested above. I've had a couple of emails now with persons listing multiple email addresses. Please just list the one you would like used for correspondence from club members.

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited:
Back