Need help with code.......

MarineMustanger

Coming home the other night, the check engine light came on and the car started running like crap. It had ZERO power and would barely run the rest of the way home. I did the KOEO Test today and it cam up with code 217- "DIS fault ignition system - coil #3" as a continuous code, meaning that it occurred previously, but it is not resident now.

Well, I went to start her up, and she started fine and ran like normal.

This all leads me to believe I have an intermitent problem with the coil pack and it should be replaced.

Does anyone have any other advice/recommendations? Could it be the DIS module? Both are original w/ 125,000 miles on them.

Thanks.

I'm about ready to drive this thing off a cliff!!!!!

Put the new coil pack on and 2 miles down the road, the same thing happened as before. I limped home and just now checked the codes....the same one tripped again, #217 DIS ignition system fault -coil #3. I guess it must be the DIS module???!!!

I called the local parts stores to see if they can test a DIS module or coil pack, but they can't. The Helms manual says to refer to the Powertrain control/Emissions diagnosis Manual for diagnosis and testing procedures for the DIS module and coil pack. I hate to drop over $100 on a new module just to guess it will work.

Any help?????

Also, the manual says to use dielectric grease under the DIS module, but I've heard a lot of guys daying to use heat snik compound....what gives???

thanks.

Hmmm JC, when the EEC bothers to set a code it's usually right. I would check the wire harness with particular attention to the #3 coil circuit. If you don't see anything then go ahead with the DIS swap. I've been using dielectric on all makes and models of iginition chips for years without complaint. It's also what Ford specifies. Heat sink grease may work better but so far I don't care. Even then they argue over which heat sink grease works, my buddy Jeff who has a degree in electronics always tells the hink sink crowd that they're using the wrong stuff.

Vernon

DIS

its your DIS, the same thing happened to my and im still trying to figure it out. mine was the #2 coil-pack and i also replaced the coils, just to have the same thing happen. i replaced the DIS and the car ran without any other trouble. that is except for that my car won't start right away sometimes and i can't get any more than half-throttle out of it! i don't know if their related, but replace the DIS, thats what worked (kinda) on mine:confused:

the dielectric grease/heatsink compound is for keeping the module cool. it doesnt matter either way i use heatsink compund between my processor and heatsink on my computer and i use the dielectric on modules and stuff because its what comes with the modules usually.

Got the new ignition module and installed it using the thin layer of dielectric grease. It started up and ran fine, but the real test will come Saturday when I take her out for a spin (tire shreading)!

Thanks for all the input and hopefully this takes care of it.

Back