gutted cats making a racket

jjj_85

I have a 1994 4.6L V8 t-bird. I recently gutted the cats. I put all the pipes back up and it sounded like there was a exhaust leak, so i tried forever to find it and had to luck. It sounds like its comming from the cats, but there is no steam or mosture comming out anywhere, and ideas on how to fix this? thanks

Ah, you V8 guys...just kidding! :)

Can't fix it if ya can't find it hmm? Hey, try holding a lit cigarette in various spots and watch the smoke to see if it shows signs of a leak.
You can also let the pipes cool off and while someone uses a blowgun through the tailpipes (air pressure) break out the trusty old squirt bottle of soapy water & squirt it here & there. Should bubble when you run across a leak.

'bird

When the guys did my inspection. I thought i had a leak, so the mechanic put gloves on and covered the tails while it was running. took about two seconds to find my leak...Bill

yeah, i tryed covering the tail pipes, i got a little water to leak outta the joint right after the 3rd cat, but that was only after i had sumone rev it and after 15-20 seconds. so i dont know what to do

The only other thing I can think of is a the heat sheilds that cover the cats are rattling. That sometimes sounds like a leak. Try taking a big screw driver and bending them up a little...Bill

Back