Can I replace a SC transmission with a transmission from a T-Bird LX?

RyanJCastor

Is it possible to replace the transmission of a SuperCoupe with the transmission of a Thunderbird LX??? Please help???

The Super Coupe uses a A4LD, 4R70W, AOD, or AODE transmission depending on the year and options. The LX V6 and V8 models both use the same tranny options. Some are not available some years, but the use of all of them with the SC engine at some point shows that they are all able to handle the power. Any of the above trannies will bolt up to your engine and handle the 210HP SC engine, but check to make sure the driveline, downshift(TV) cable, and shifter will be compatible.

One thing that may be different is the shift points in the tranny. You might want to check with a dealer. It may not even be different.

Good Luck!!:D

Oh yeh, I almost forgot that I have an extra tranny. If you are close enough to come pick it up I'll give you a good deal on it. It's an AOD out of a 90 LX w/V6 with 59k original miles. I live in Cheney, WA 99004.

You are right about how the AOD and the 4R70W were the main trannies used for the SC's. The AOD was popular from 89-93, and the 4R70W was popular in the 94-97, bu the A4LD and AODE made it into some models, just not many. To be honest, every parts car I have seen so far has had the AOD or 4R70W, but acording to record they weren't the only ones used. You can double check this with a good Ford tranny database.

you should check that source, no MN12 ever came with an a4ld or AODE. AODE's were only 94-95 mustangs, most everything else had the wide ratio 4R70W. A4LD's came in explorers, and trucks.

Brian

Thunder Flee who has a 95 5-Speed now used to own a 90 SC. He told me he had a AODE in his 90 SC. He said he pulled the transmission himself. I questioned him extensively about it, and I commented that from all the info I had heard that the AODE wasn't used. The guy doesn't BS, and I beleive him. It doesn't suprise me actually. Ford does some weird stuff if parts are in low supply. If I remember correctly back in 94 or 95 Ford was giving a rebate on the 4.6 engine in the MN12s because 3.8 V6 supply was low.

the AODE wasn't even developed in 1990, so if he really had one, someone else installed it.

Also, the Super Coupe EEC's don't support an AODE or 4R70W until 1994.

Brian

Didn't the A4LD also come in some turbo coupes. Was that not the reason later autos were 140hp vs 190 hp manual? That would mean the SC would disintigrate an A4LD pretty easily.

I've seen service manuals that said the SC had the A4LD:rolleyes: . Obviously the Pinto based transmission would blow itself to shreds with the weight,torque and wheel-hop of the SC:D

Back to the question at hand, NO, an AOD from an LX will not work with the SC. Only a SC AOD will work with the SC. There were 3 types of AOD's and the SC had the strongest offered. I would not recommend using any other type of AOD in the SC.

The AODE was never used in the SC or any Thunderbird. All Thunderbirds from 1994-1997 used the 4R70W electronic automatic transmission. The AODE was used in the 1994-1995 Mustangs.(oops this was already mentioned) The Turbo coupes used the AOD for the automatic transmission and the T5 for the 5-speeds.

I think we have beat this point to death. The fact is that Ford either used all these trannies in the T-Bird in various years or accidently documented repair manuals with references to these trannies in the 89-93 SC's.
Someone said that there are 3 different types of AOD trannies. Maybe you can enlighten me on the differences. Other than the oil pump "vein retainer rings" that can break when run at high rpm's, I don't see a problem. It's not like the SC have much more power than the V8 LX models.

I think we have beat this point to death.
I haven't seen a comprehensive statement just yet.. I'd say beat some more. More knowledge is good. In fact, I have my own relatively irrelevant question which is: Which model 5spd tranny was used in the 89-93, (before the 4r70w which I believe is a manual transmission)? and was it better? Seems that there are consistent complaints about the 1-2 shift due to weak synchros or blocker rings or something like that. The reason it is irrelevant is..(LOL) I'm not going to go and swap my AOD for a manual.. I'd buy another SC before I did that.

It's not like the SC have much more power than the V8 LX models.
Well, ummm, actually it IS like that.

Ford has been known to make mistakes in their literature. It does happen. My SHO manual says to replace my Supercharger fluid every 60,000 miles. Well with that I'm suing Ford since I have looked all through the engine for the supercharger and can't find it. Now the SHO does not have a supercharger. Alas that is why Ford always puts a disclaimer that states things may be different and changes and such can be done at anytime without notice and without incurring any obligation.

Different AOD transmissions come from Ford with different size band servos and the SC AOD have the biggest and strongest of all offered. The SC AOD can provide an additional 50% of band application over a standard AOD.

TbirdSCFan said:
I haven't seen a comprehensive statement just yet.. I'd say beat some more. More knowledge is good. In fact, I have my own relatively irrelevant question which is: Which model 5spd tranny was used in the 89-93, (before the 4r70w which I believe is a manual transmission)? and was it better? Seems that there are consistent complaints about the 1-2 shift due to weak synchros or blocker rings or something like that. The reason it is irrelevant is..(LOL) I'm not going to go and swap my AOD for a manual.. I'd buy another SC before I did that.

All SC's (1989-1995) use the Mazda M5R2 manual transmission. The 4R70W is an electronic automatic transmission. I have heard that folks with the earlier model SC's desire a late model M5R2 as I beleive that it has different gear ratios.

turbo-coupes used A4LDs not AODs
turbo-coupes used the weaker T-5 2.3 Mustang trans
the V8 MN-12 AOD should work, might just have smaller OD piston(swap them)

The 4R70W is a late model automatic used mostly in the 94-97 TBirds.
As far as your question about the bad 1-2 shift in your manual tranny. I've never had a car that didn't have that problem unless it had under 60k miles. It's just the nature of the beast. Especially in a performance oriented car. You force the tranny into second gear at extreme rpms when trying to get a good start.
I would look to have it rebuilt, or replaced with a newer and stronger mustang unit. I believe the late model Mustangs have a 6-speed. That would be cool!!

The differencesin the 89-93 and 94-95 M5R2 is the gear ratios, mainly first and second (3.75 and 2.43 vs 3.42 and 1.93 on the 94-95) third is slightly different but not as much and the 4-5 are the same. A rebuild is the only practical thing for these as any other tranny requires modification to fit. Plus, in stock form the 5.0L mustangs and the early (til about 98 or 99) 4.6's don't put out as much torque, but the Tremec T-56 you refer to has a rating of around 425-450 ft-lbs. Too bad it doesnt fit with out mods.

I was pretty sure the TC's used the A4LD. Considering the Sc puts aout a lot more torque than the TC's, the T-5 wasn't a bad choice for them.

Back