Aftermarket Harmonic Balancers?

v6stanger

Is there any sort of aftermarket balancer for a 93 supercoupe engine? I figure while the motor is out of the car I might as well get a good one.

A link, price or any info would be greatly appreciated.

Zach

If the balancer looks to be running straight ,and all the bolts look good and tight,but the pulley
in front of the balancer has a slight wobble.Would this be a sign the balancer is going bad??

Do the BHJ balancers have a coating,or do they rust up.

Last edited:
The BHJ's have no coating, which does stink, but that is the ONLY down side I see to those.
I have one on my '95, & it's working great!

Thanks for all the great information guys. Looks like I will spend the extra cash and ditch the stock one.

i wonder if my 97 3.8 crank pulley will bolt up to it.

Zach

Anybody, got a good used harmonic balancer BHJ?

My stock balancer is shot, can anyone advise me? Thanks, in advance, Donnie/785-842-4400:confused:

BHJ harmonic balancers/dampeners are a very good product, Just disregard any discussion you may read about having to balance the dampener and the pulley. The engine is internally balanced and the dampener and crankshaft pulley are each neutrally balanced so they can just bolt up. Be aware, however, that the dampener and the pulley only bolt together one way- the bolt holes will line up perfectly only when they are positioned properly relative to each other. As another check, you should find a machined notch on the periphery of the pulley that will align with TDC on the dampener when the two are in the correct relative position.

For a cheap fix that so far is holding up for me (1+ year):

http://www.autopartsnew4u.com/servlet/the-986/Ford-Thunderbird-SC-3.8L/Detail

OH just noticed its out of stock... You could always email and ask when more will be available. It seems like a quality unit, but the one downside is the pulley holes don't quite line up and you have to egg one out a teensy tiny bit (and yes, I know that they only line up 1 way, I had mine off the car for like an hour trying to get the holes to match, and they get REALLY close one way, but just enough to keep the bolt from threading straight)

Everyone else with them so far hasn't had any problems yet.

Back