PDA

View Full Version : SC mechanic in DC area

D A
01-24-2003, 05:44 PM
I have just relocated to the DC area (drove my 100k SC from San Antonio TX) and I urgently would like to locate an experienced SC mechanic in the area. Any help would be appreciated. Please note my temp email below.
Don
dholloway210@yahoo.com
95 Tbird SC auto, 99k miles

iwannanSC
08-09-2003, 09:53 PM
I know this is a really old post but what do/did you need done to the SC? I may be able to help.

Matt

D A
09-07-2003, 12:27 PM
It has been awhile, and I am really just getting settled in to the area. This has been the most exposure to weather that my SC has experienced (to include this past winter) in my 4 yr ownership. The fact that folks up here are OK without garages still hasn't sunk in yet. Anyway, there is lot's of work I need for my bird; most of it put off because I couldn't afford the homes with "optional" garages. So for the past 6 month's I have been at the mercy of the local dealerships for urgent care items (pwr steering went out 2 days after I got here; motor mounts were changed about 2 months ago). I need to change my shocks, my speedo is shot, and my fan and temp gauge go haywire occasionally; my ac compressor is shot and everyone up here insists that the 94/95 SC ac compressor is a 1 of a kind! I also called and visited junk yards with no luck. God I miss Texas! I am at the point now where I might have to let the car go if fixing everything that goes wrong from now on means a trip to Ford (I can't bring myself to trust other service centers;not that I trust Ford either). Thanks for asking.

Don

iwannanSC
09-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Don,

I hear you man! My fan wasn't working properly either for the longest time - I took it to FORD finally about a month ago and paid $530 for them to fix it. The bird runs cool now though, and I think the Ford dealer did a nice job. I still don't trust them, but now I hold them in slightly higher esteem than valet's. :D If you are thinking about doing some of the work yourself I would be happy to come down and help, and I have a friend that is great with SCs that might be able to come too. The weather is going to start getting cooler soon, and without a garage you're going to want to do it soon if you're doing it yourself. I've done a bunch of stuff to my SC, all of it replacing parts that have gone bad. My friend has owned 2 SCs in the past and has done almost everything to his old '91. Also, if you want I can call around to junk yards here and try to find parts for you - I already know of a '95 about 2 minutes from my house, not an SC, but the A/C compressor is probably the same. Check the tech forum to make sure. Anyway, just let me know if you need anything.

Matt

D A
09-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am really at a crossroad now. I need to get a second car and I'm not sure if keeping the SC without a place to work on it(can't do it at home;neighborhood rules) and ft meade auto hobby shop has weird hours and rules. I'm even thinking about just storing the SC here in Odenton for a year or two depending on cost. Not sure what will happen yet but I'll keep you guys posted.

Don
95 SC,auto,100+kmiles

CaifanSC
09-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey Don, how's that compressor issue going? Dude, if you need some help let me know, i might be able to swing by and help you out. Remember im a few mins away from odenton. Im sure u've seen how FRIENDLY the miniscule SC population is. We're not many, but if we can help out, we will man. Remember to check uot the mamn12 website for taht meet in a few weeks. That will be a great chance for you to meet a whole bunch of enthusiasts. Hopefully i can get some of the people in my neighborhood to go. Just in one street I saw 4 mark viii's, 3 lx birds, a cougar and a a white early model SC that i didnt even know existed!

D A
09-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Hey guys, I have felt the luv since I've been in the DC area! You guys are great, and we obviously know a great car when we drive one! Unfortunately, I just don't have a garage to do the work like I did in TX, and I'm not familiar enough with the area to know how far or how close a good SC mech might be. I called about 8 more places in the phone book (and off the internet) today looking for a compressor and got the same story; tough luck, and you can only use a compressor made for the "supercharged" engine. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with paying the 3 bills to get a new compressor, but like I mentioned before, I've got moving costs going on now and (oh yeah!) my wife refuses to drive a used (no warranty, no roadside,etc) vehicle in this area! She has seen many cars on the roadside as we travel on hiways with what seems to be endless trees/forests away from immediate assistance. Must, must please the wife!! Anyway, enuff long wind; Thanks to all you guys and I will try to make the get together coming up if I can find the web site again; I was also gonna try and go to the big Jag show in Rockville this weekend (since I also have a "GARAGED" XJS) in TX. but must get permission from "Hurricane Isabel" first! Thanks bunches guys!!!!

CaifanSC
09-18-2003, 11:45 AM
The website is www.mamn12.com, check out the events forum. OH, and be careful with the trees man. I parked my 94 across the street away from any trees. Too bad I cant even move my 89...its not too close to a tree, but i would have liked to keep it away also. Just in case man. A good idea for your compressor is going to ford and verifying part numbers. Ask for part numbers for a regular bird and an SC. Then you will at least know if its true that they're different.

ILikeFtLbs
08-15-2004, 02:37 PM
If you're still looking for a good SC mechanic, talk to Jeff DeBord at EuroWerks in Rockville, MD. I had my ENTIRE SC rebuilt by him and it runs better than it did when i bought it in 1995! He knows these cars very well. I can get the number for you if you need it, just email me at paulkeats@aol.com

1QuikV6
04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Hmm Rockville.... I work in Friendship Heights/Bethesda area and I need my front suspension done. I wonder.... I know this is an old post but figured Id chime in...

I live in Fairfax,VA right outside DC in case anyone wants to hang out. I also have an "optional" garage at my house Id be willing to share.

jonroe
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I've mentioned this before but I use Chantilly Steering (Jim Wacker) for all my TBird SC work.

Jon

1QuikV6
04-30-2006, 08:57 PM
What have you had him do? I need a front suspension rebuild. Reasonably priced?

jonroe
05-01-2006, 08:08 AM
This is his web site.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/chantilly_steering/index.html

Pretty minimal web site as he doesn't pay a lot of attention to it. I have taken 3 of my cars here and this is the only garage I use outside of my own hands for all my cars. He specializes in front end and suspension work but does pretty much everything.

He has completely re-built my differential with new gears (3.27) and all new parts. He replaced motor mounts for me. He has put on a whole new exhaust system, custom cat-front, Borla cat-back. He has helped me diagnose a fix problems I have had passing VA emissions. He has done alignments and replaced wheel bearings. He has done plugs for me on the SC. There are probably other odds and ends I forget. I trust him and his judgment.

If you're looking for front end work, you should talk to him. I'd say his prices are fair. Not too high but no great bargains. Most time bargains equal lousy work anyway. A trusted mechanic is very valuable.

Jon

1QuikV6
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
With 254,000 on the clock Im sure it needs alot in the way of front suspension parts. I cant keep front tires on it to save my life and I ride around all day long in Firm Ride. I'll definitely be in touch with him in the VERY near future.