what is the best year of the SC (body style wise)

T

TurboBird

what is the best year of the SC (body style wise)

what do you guys think, my vote go's to the 92's..........and the 94-95 LX...they look sweet

Re: what is the best year of the SC (body style wise)

I only like the 95 Lx's cuz i own one LOL......they do look cool with 18x9 rims tho

1993 I believe is one of the best looking years..I own a 1993, so there is some bias, but I believe that the 1993 had the best out of all "three versions" of the SC evolution...

The 1989-93 years front and rear bumpers seemed to me a bit more "meaner" or Nascar-Ish than the 1994-95. I love the look of a white or red SC where you can see the front and rear bumper ground effects. I think that with slight modification to the 1994/95 rear bumper, it could look better. I think that the black plastic thing in the rear bumper should be evened out and a honey-comb mesh be inserted similar to the SVT Contour. A set of straight through pipes (conservative) would accent it well...

The 1992-1993 model years were the only ones that had the old ground effects style with the rear trunk lid tail lights. That is probably the biggest reason that I think the 1992-1993 look the best...

The reason why I say the 1993 stands out as one of the best looking SC model years is a combination of the 1989-93 front and rear bumpers, the 1992-93 trunk-lid led lights, and finally it the only year that came with all that and the 1993-1995 SC rims...Although, they did not have the Thunderbird logo on the center-caps..Only an impression...

I just think that the 1993 has the best of all the worlds...BUT! The 1994/95 has the BEST interior...NO PLASTIC SQUEAKS!!!!

Eh?

Weren't the 92-93's different? I thought 93 got the new style wheels while the 92's had the older ones? I would have clumped 89-93 and 94-95. When you get down to it I'm sure the only years that really did not change at all were 89-90.....surely the rest of them all had some minute change that is worthy enough (to some) for each year to receive it's own catagory.

That being aside....I shall state my opinion on the matter.

I don't think anyone can argue that the 94/95 SC's look more modern. And some would even say that that 89-93's look dated....especially from an interior standpoint. I think the 94/95 interiors look more than just a bit nicer. Unfortunately, they are not as roomy/functional. Some space is lost around the leg area...and when you are 6'8" you notice every inch baby. So to me, function outweighs looks in that department....and I shall call it a draw on interior (still giving Kudos to the looks of the 94/95 not only cosmetically, but it appears to be better quality) Aside from my height it would otherwise be a +.

Outside...I think the trim around the car looks way more modern on the 94/95. IT looks more refined. I like the look of the black stripe that wraps around the entire car of the 89-93, but the newer trim looks smoother. Unfortunatly the trim was all color coded in the 94/95's, but envisioning a titianium 94/95 with the trim black....I think It would look cooler. So I give the 94/95's the + there.

Rear valence....I think the 89-93 style makes the car look lower and wider than the 94/95. Plus I like how the 89-93 style is totally cut through whereas the 94/95 is a sticker/painted or something? That's kind of a no-no in my books. Plus I am not nuts about the way the 94/95 bulges around the exhaust cut-outs....I definitely give the 89-93 the + there.

Front ends....hmmm. No doubt the 89-93 has more "edge" to it whereas the front of the 94/95 is smoother. Areodynamically the 94/95 would be better....just how much better is to be debated? I think the newer headlights look better proportioned to the front end, but then again after years of staring at the 89-93 I happen to think the older ones look agressive. The 89-93 headlights definitely make the car look lower and wider...which again is a good thing to me. One thing between the two that I really prefer however is how the hood sits flush with the bumper (between the lights) whereas the newer style hood meets a little grill. I like the 89-93 style better....it just seems like they tried to shove a grill in the 94/95 where they really didn't have room. So...that would be the only factor to me that gives the + to the 89-93.

As for wheels....I think the 89-93 look more solid, but also look more dated. For some reason the 94/95 look...dare I say, cheaper? BUT---I think the bulge in the 94/95 style add to the wider look again, whereas the 89-93 really don't. Otherwise both style are pretty similar.....I don't care for the plastic caps in the 94/95....but still give the 94/95 the +

I think that is about it without getting nit picky over doorhandles and taillights, etc... Overall I guess I would say the 93 is the best looking year. It keeps the front end and valence which I prefer, the interior is more functional for me, and it's got the newer style wheels.

Then again, I've got a freakin' ram air hood and Cobra R's...like I even need to like a car in stock trim?!?

Micah

A 93 SC looks the best, but oh man what I would do for that new engine and tranny and a little traction assist. Yummy!

The 96-97 LX's are my favorite MN12, non SC.

On the Fox chassis, I like the 85-86 the best.

i own a '94 SC, but i'd have to agree with Mike Manzo that the '93 is the best looking overall. i would've bought a '93 if it wasn't for the lower stock HP and torque, and the interior. the interior isn't bad, but i used to own a '92 TBird Sport, and i guess i'm tired of that interior. i don't like the '94-'95's rear valence with that cheap looking black plastic that's supposed to look like a hole. i also don't like the "shoved in grill" look, as Micahdogg put it. i like the '89-'93 headlights, but i love the '96-'97 clear lens headlights more, along with the hood and grill (which doesn't look shoved in). but i love the '93-'95 wheels, and the '94-'96 interior ('97 has a different instrument cluster and has those exposed cupholders and change holder in the center console.). i also like the LED taillamps on the '92-'97 TBird's. a '95 SC with a '93 front bumper and rear valence, and '96 headlights, hood, and grill, would be perfect, i think.

1993...read

its got the older body style (which in my opinion looks sportier and more aggressive than 94/95)

and its got the better ABS

now if only ford had put the 230hp motor in in 1993 instead of 1994

I would have to say the the 89-91 years. I like the look of the tail lights, they connect all the way across the back. It would have been nice if Ford had illuminated all that, instead of just the outside lights/turn singles. The 93 looks like to me that they ran out of material when making the lenses.

For the wheels, definetly the 89-91 they look more stout and broad, the 94 and 95 like someone said they look to cheap. Another thing it looks like they ran short on material. I will not disagree , wish they had the more horses in 91 instead of 94/95.

I do own a 93 and agree that they are the best looking outside(rims, tail lights, ground effects) also they have the better ABS and front spindles(to upgrade easier.) I do however like the interior of the 94/95 much better. I am droping a 94 engine in mine so I'll have the slightly better engine as well. But all SC's are sweet!!!!!!

Doug DeBiase
93 SC Auto

Re: A combination of both.

I like a combination:

I think the 94-95 front end would look real good with 96/97 headlights and hood. Either rear end is good with the 94/95 looking more modern and clean(No hole hanging down).

I like the early interior hands down. It looks more dated but I like the layout a lot. I have ridden in the 94/5 pasenger seat and felt really left out. It's just too friendly looking!

Wheels are even, I would go aftermarket!

Re: A combination of both.

Yeap a combo of both is what I'm going for, I still think the 89-93 looks meaner, so I bought the 93 and up spindles and rims for my 92. No doubt the rear on the 89-93 looks meaner plus the LED's look modern.

Re: Ricardo's 94/97 SC

Ricardo's 94 SC with the 97 nose with the Xenon Gfx is the best looking one.

Tom

anothermycar.gif

going for a combo

since my 91 Sport just got totaled from the front end, I am going to try a combination.

I got a 95 LX front end, with new fenders, headlights, hood, and bumper cover. I almost bought a set of 96 Mark VIII HID lamps and ballasts to retrofit, but i changed my mind ($475 price tag).

I also got 89-93 SC wheels, i like those more than the 94-95's... they just don't look plastic.

I am keeing the black 91 interior, it may be cheaper looking, but i don't think there's any doubt that it's much more roomy.

The car is bright red, and originally had the black stripe running all around back all the way to the fenders, so i am going to try and keep that.

I am also trying to track down a 92-97 trunk lid with LED's. A definate must.

I'll get some pictures after it hits the paint shop in a week or so.

I like another combo

Looks like George D's SWB is a combo of 97, 94, and a '89 I think. I think that is one of the best I have seen. I would prefer the newer interior though, Doug, if you are in the DRIVERS seat you don't feel left out.

Re: I like another combo

Kind of like a jet-fighter @#%$pit?! I think I feel wierd riding in the passenger seat of any car!

Re: Let me try that again

A jet-fighter area where the pilot sits?? I think I spelled it right...

Although I am biased seeing how I have a 90 SC, I do think the 89-93's look more agressive and saying that they would get my vote.

I like the 94/95. More aerodynamic than an F360 Modena, and very sleek.

<marquee><marquee><marquee><marquee><marquee>SLEEK! AERODYNAMIC!</marquee></marquee></marquee></marquee></marquee>

YOU FORGOT THE NICEST LOOKING ONE! THE 90 COUGAR XR7. T-BIRDS LOOK GOOD TOO, BUT SORRY NOT AS GOOD AS US.

I prefer the 90 XR7 with out the cup holder in the dashboard. Something about the rims and the grill I love. I was in the market for a SC/XR7 for 2 years before I settled on a cougar. Performance wise, I would love to have a 94/95 SC with a 5 speed but for now the Cougar will do.

Back