Putting an SC engine in a Mustang

bgoode86

I was just wondering if it would be possible to drop in a 3.8L V6 into an '89 Mustang LX. If so, what all will have to be changed and what will it take to do so. I've been told to just go buy a 5.0 but the V6 just seems more appealing.

Thanks.

Brian

Last edited:
I think someone who visits this forum has done this. If i didn't own one of these cars then I would go with the 5.0. It's not that I don't like my car, but you can get "goodies" easier and cheaper for th V-8.

Biggin'

yea I really like driving the 5.0's, if my brother didn't own one I would have probably gotten one, they are cheap and parts are everywhere.

Jamie Hiscoe, an Ontario chapter member, has done this with his 94 V6 car. On a Fox-chassis Mustang, the 3.8 will bolt up to either a 2.3L 4-cyl. crossmember, or a 5.0L V8 crossmember, with the correct engine mounts (using 83 - 86 3.8 Mustang mounts I would think). So it could be done, I had pondered this swap myself if I could find a clean ragtop Fox Mustang. Just think, all the torque of an SC motor in a car weighing about 600 or 700 lbs. less, and it has room for a proper exhaust system !!

Jamie goes by the board name "V6Sprout" ... so you can try sending him a private message, or just posting a question on the SCCoO chapter forum if he doesn't see this thread.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

i've done a 5.0 conversion on an 89 lx and also put an engine in my cat. After working on both, go with the 5.0. The 5.0 wiring is alot easier to get and alot cheaper. with the 5.0 you can either use the 4cyl wiring harness thats in your car and change the computer or change the whole wiring from the firewall becouse it just plugs in. The sc motor is going to be a ton of wiring hacking. And you just can't beat that 5.0 sound :D . When I did my conversion I bought a wrecked GT and just swapped everything over...Bill

Go with the 5.0, there's a huge aftermarket as previously mentioned, including a wide variety of supercharger kits. They're much more reliable, also. Plus it's the easiest thing for you to do.

If you go with the SC 3.8 don't plan on having a reliable vehicle, they're nothing but trouble. They're very touchy engines, and VERY hard to trouble shoot, aftermarket isn't too great and parts are expensive.

Chris

Back