air silencer?

tbirdcrazy

I've been looking through some of my CT issues, and i was wondering what an air silencer does, where its located, and what the benefits are of taking it out?:confused:

Air silencer

Air silencers are mufflers for your intake. Like mufflers, they restrict flow to a certain degree. If you remove it you can achieve a more efficient intake. Less restriction at the blower inlet plenum= more outlet volume, i.e. more boost. I have heard of 5 to 10 horsepower gains, alothough I cannot affirm, its not enough to notice from the seat of your pants. It also makes your intake a little louder, but I love the way it sounds.

Rip it out

It is under your air box. Remove your intake tube and air box top and your filter. You will see three nuts holding it on the airbox. Remove these nuts and it will be loose. Then turn your steering wheel all the way to the right and jack up the front of your car. Remove the screws holding the inner fenderwell to the bottom edge of the bumper cover and pull the fenderwell back. you will see the big ugly white plastic thing now. It's not exactly simple, but you can manage to wiggle and twist it out form there.
Have Fun :)

Did you bolt the airbox back down or did you let it flop? I am in the process of changing my front bumper cover and took the air silencer out. I don't want to put it back in ( and I don't have the money for the cone filter setup) but i don't want a rattle either,thanks...Bill

Back