PDA

View Full Version : Gearshift locked in park.

cary Jackson
01-25-2003, 02:26 PM
On my daughters 91 SC I can't get it out of park. First I would have to turn on the key,put it in neutral, and then start but now that wont work either. Once it's in park it's locked in. Now it won't come out of park at all. What gives?

TbirdSCFan
01-25-2003, 05:12 PM
There is a cable which runs from the steering column down to the shifter. Take the covers off from behind the steering column and you'll find a small black case on the top right side with a black cable coming out from it. Turn the key and watch to see if it engages like its supposed to. I think it moves a lever.

pdennis93
01-25-2003, 05:13 PM
just a guess here, but i see it being 1 of 2 switches

1. the switch on the brake pedal that allows you to shift it out of park i know on my 93, if i dont have my foot on the brake i cant get it out of park even with the engine running.... i dont know if theres a switch down there or not but that would be my guess

2. your ignition switch, i know these fail and do some funky things, maybe the ignition switch isnt signalling whatever its suppose to signal that the car is in fact "on" and thus allow you to shift out of park

just a few suggestions.

TbirdSCFan
01-25-2003, 05:14 PM
The covers I'm referring to he ones over the key cylinder.

Mike Combs
01-25-2003, 08:55 PM
I was having the same problem with my car. I just unhooked the ignition cable where it attaches to the shifter. You loose the shifter lock, but who needs it anyway.